Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Teenage Kicks


"Tell you what, how about I take you and a couple of your friends to London for a Weekend?"


"Aw mu-um, everyone has a disco.."


Oh well, if everyone has one, guess it's written in stone then, huh? Sigh. The thought of fifty thirteen year olds crammed into a confined space fills me with dread, but as you know, one should never underestimate the powers of begging. The promises this kid made you would not believe. Actually, I wish I hadn't either, but there's no fool like an old one. Two weeks later I finally caved, reluctantly agreeing to book both the hall and a DJ. 'Course, what I forgot to factor in, was that by agreeing she could invite up to fifty kids, Beccy telepathically knew I ACTUALLY meant sixty or more..
"I am not hiring a hall twenty miles from where we live, especially as I need to cater this darn thing.."

Obviously, this was totally unreasonable, no one would come and her life would be ruined. Everyone expects a venue close to school, it goes without saying.



Silly me.



I bit on it and hired the civic hall. Invites were sent and deposits laid down.


Now, naturally I was very proud when she was selected to represent the island playing Netball, but I was rather less than thrilled to discover the tournament she had to attend was in Scotland, over the same weekend her party was booked.


"I have to go, I can't let the team down!"
(She had to go, she couldn't let the team down.) Deposits forfeited, fresh invites were sent. . which sadly also turned out to be on the same date she just had to be in England to represent her school playing hockey. (Unreasonably, I was getting a tad irritable.)

No, Beccy is not an only child, she is one of four, God help us.. So it was, over one full month after celebrating her actual birthday, we finally rolled up last Saturday to throw her a disco. Have to confess she was right on one thing though, all the girls really do dress as scantily as she does.
Anyway, it all got off to a good start, glow necklaces and bracelets were duly dispensed and a fun time was begun by all. I managed to grab a few snapshots, before happily letting the DJ take over. An hour in, I found my way to the kitchen to warm some food. Hubby pulled me aside - you see part of the deal for hiring this place is to ensure you leave it as spic and span as you've found it. Fair enough, eh? Mindful of the retainer we had left, we had every intentions of honouring that. Trouble was, there didn't appear to be a broom or mop in sight. We looked, we really did. Nothing. How dumb is that? So it was, hubby volunteered to nip back home (an hours round trip) to fetch back ours. Sweet Sam found the disco too noisy for his liking, but he was happy to stay in the kitchen and peek in on the disco. I didn't see any need for hubby to take him with him on the ride.. everything was under control.

Yeah.

No sooner had hubby left when the proverbial hit the fan. Beccy came charging through to find me, someone had pulled a chair out as her friend was about to sit down - it was a "joke", the person hadn't expected her to fall so hard. The poor kid was now lying flat on the floor and screaming she couldn't move her back. (Sam instantly went into a full out panic attack, falling into a fetal position, he began screaming his lungs out. His worst phobia is injury. Being a large fifteen-come-five-year-old, no thirteen year old there could be expected to calm him.) I had no option but to leave him there to sprint to the girl. Every parents worst nightmare, she couldn't move. I cut the music, and had the DJ call an ambulance, whilst trying the best as I could to comfort the girl as I phoned her mother.


The medics enlisted both the DJ and myself to help lift her on to a body-board, and inflated a rigid wrap around her. Her mother arrived just as she was being boarded onto the ambulance. I promised to call her first thing, filled with guilt and horror at so miserably failing to ensure her daughters safety. As if things couldn't get any worse, this is at the exact same moment when the DJ, in his infinite wisdom, decides to resume the music, with all of the kids charging back to the hall, whooping it up and cheering at the tops of their voices.
Sensitive, huh?


I simply wanted to die.


Hubby finally pulled up and I was able to send him off to find Sam, who had by now now locked himself into the loo and was refusing to come out.


The DJ shrugged, "Look Missus, you have sixty kids here for at least another hour, what do you want me to do with them?"

I saw he had a point. I packed my camera away, no longer having the heart for any more pictures. As all this was going on, groups of our kids were seizing the opportunity to drift out on to the street on the pretext of "getting some air" (teenage-speak for flirting with the local talent). A bunch of older lads from the local school (not the one ours attend) had gathered outside and were now being chatted up by certain girlies from our party. Not born yesterday, I quickly shooed them back inside and hubby stood guard by the main door. This didn't prevent the older lads from fetching a few more friends along in attempts to gatecrash, but they finally gave up and went away.
Or so we thought.
Minutes after hubby re-joined the disco, a loud crash signaled the inner patio door caving in. Being safety glass, it thankfully shattered rather than broke, but with that bang also went our retainer. .
(Little bastards.)


It was after 1.30am by the time everyone was collected, the hall cleared up and we drove home. On the journey back I confess to being stunned at Beccy's callousness.


"She's alright mum, honestly she is, she's just a drama queen, everyone knows that, she's always doing stuff like this.."


I felt like thumping her. Instead I read her the riot act before packing her off to bed. The night dragged on forever, neither hubby nor I had one wink of sleep. I called the girls mother at 8am. Her daughter, bright and perky, answered the phone. Her mother came on the line to say she must have some internal bruising (What? You mean she didn't have so much as an external one? Not even a teeny tiny one??), and that all things considered, it hadn't been so bad - what with the hospital staff making such a fuss over her daughter, she swears her kid positively thrived on the experience - but then, apparently, she always is kinda' accident prone..


Well all the same, I have to say I am much relieved she is all hale and hearty. Nevertheless, I sure hope Bec enjoyed her disco, 'cos as I have already gone to great lenghts to explain to her, there is absolutely no way on God's green earth she is ever, ever going to have another one.

43 comments:

Suldog said...

1 - Bec is stunningly pretty. I know I sound like an old perv saying that about a young teen, but she is.

2 - I thought this was headed to a much more tragic ending, when you talked about the girl not being able to move. I guess Bec was right about her, eh?

Great story.

Les Becker said...

Oh. My. God.

I am packing up Ky and sending her to you. If this is what I'm in for, I quit.

Shrinky said...

Ah suldog my friend - this girl of mine is set to turn me old before my time! And as for her friend.. well, I guess that's thirteen year old's for you. Just glad it all turned out the way it did.

Shrinky said...

les, stuff that for a game of soldiers, I've SEEN your Ky, no way am I beating back the boys from her, I have enough to cope with as it is just with our Bec!!!

pat houseworth said...

About time you posted again, I though they had you locked up in the loonie bin or something?

;)

Shrinky said...

Ah Pat, just give it time.. wink.

I have to confess things have been a little frantic as of late - but hopefully I'm back on an even keel again (fingers crossed).

Akelamalu said...

You just knew before you agreed didn't you? :(

Mushy said...

I have to keep reminding myself she's just a child...so pretty!

You are such a brave soul!

quilly said...

Argh!

I hope the kid who moved the chair learned a very important lesson. I am sorry that the drama queen didn't.
And where were the parents of the kids out running the streets and breaking windows?

Shrinky said...

akelamaleu,

Experience whispered dire consequences might follow..

Shrinky said...

Not brave Mushy, just foolish! Smile.

Shrinky said...

Oh quilly, I love your acute observations! Yes, oddly enough I had the same conversation with my eldest, Matt, the next day.

He tells me the extreme north and extreme south of the island is renowned for petty vandalism, unlike in the the centre, which is the capital, there is absolutely no activities available for kids 13 to 17 to hang out together in. It's a sad fact that left to their own devices they have little option but to either stay at home or hang out with their friends on street corners. I don't believe they are bad kids, or that their parents don't care. Their energies could be more positively chanelled if only a little will and investment were directed on their behalf.

BRUNO said...

What'd I tell you once before?

Hell, if you'd talk hubby into one of those converted school-buses to live out of, and learn how to cuss properly(!), why, you'd fit right-in "over-here"!

Well, at least until you started breaking MY windows---you'd either have to pack it up and move---or invite ME over....!

Momma said...

Wow - you really know how to throw a party, don't you?

Your daughter looks a little like Jennifer Love Hewitt. Better get a shotgun!

Peace - D

SJ said...

...and I thought you lived in a calm and quiet island.

And you can take me and my friends to a weekend in London anytime. The airfare is all yours.

Shrinky said...

Y'know bruno, I've always had a secret yearning to live in a converted bus.. wink!

Shrinky said...

hey momma, I'm just off to google this Jennifer whatshername.. grin.

Yeah, kids.. they don't half age you sometimes!

Shrinky said...

sj, you are generous to a fault..

grin

Scott from Oregon said...

Ummmm, I have to say you are indeed a special Mum.

All things considered, it sounds memoriable!

CHEWY said...

Hmm...
Perhaps, no more until marriage.

Jennifer Love Hewitt, the Ghost Whisperer. Beccy does look a bit like her.

i beati said...

astounding play by play lovely girl sandy

Shrinky said...

aw scott, memorable isn't the word hon, I'll have nightmares for years over this one.. wink

Jay said...

Heavens above, I'm glad I didn't have any girls!! LOL! What a nightmare! What happened about the boys who broke the patio door? Did you call the police?

I thought you lived on a calm and quiet island too. I will remember to ask your advice as to where to settle if we ever do move over there.

I agree about the kids and vandalism and nothing to do, though. I did a piece about that once. It's just asking for trouble. *Sigh*

Shrinky said...

Chewy - the Ghost Whisperer?? Oh, now I know who your talking about!! grin.

John-Michael said...

Kudos for courage. I am awed by your bravery in immersing yourself in life with such abandon. You and Hubby are quite the remarkable team. I salute you both.

Lovingly ...

Alex L said...

Ok thats it, no kids for me then, possible paralysis, horny teenage boys, massive amounts of money lost, it all sounds like to much for this young man.

That last pic is very sweet.

Shrinky said...

Hi Jay, no, we briefly thought of calling the police, but having already had one vist from the emergency services that night, we didn't have the energy to call out a second. Besides, with no witnesses, we had no proof.

Shrinky said...

John-Michael,

It's not courage, just plain stupidity - believe me! Grin..

Shrinky said...

thank you i beati, you are very kind..smile

Shrinky said...

hey alex, that's the way to go hon, believe me.. wink!

david mcmahon said...

Next party, how about Suldog, FHB, Mushy and I come down there as your SWAT team.

We know how to sort these things out.

You can write, my word, you can write.....

Shrinky said...

David, you are a pure genious - wish I'd had that idea beforehand! (Hugs)

CJ said...

Oh my, sounds like quite a night. Glad to hear the girl was not seriously injured.

Shrinky said...

Yeah cj, it could have been a whole lot worse, thank goodness she is fine.

Maalie said...

Wow! You do have some exciting times in Tailesscatland, don't you?

Shrinky said...

Believe me maalie, this kind of excitement I can live without!

CrazyCath said...

Wow Shrinky! Great to see you back here but what a story! No wonder you've been missing. You've been on medication to get over it haven't you?

You are very brave! And as David said - my word - you can write...
(I could "hear" your thoughts in the writing - true talent...)

Shrinky said...

Hey cath, I am in a permanent state of sitting slumped in a corner, blowing bubbles - comes with the territory, I'm afraid!

Aw, you say the sweetest things, so you do! x

Denise said...

Phew! What an episode! You certainly handled it well! I was literally reaching for a brandy! My god, hope you had a good stiff drink!

Shrinky said...

"A" drink Denise? I had the best part of a box of wine upon my return - count on it!!

CHEWY said...

Wine in a box? Don't you have wine in bottles?

I forgot to mention, I love the pic of you and your daughter.

indicaspecies said...

Here from David's.

Loved the narration, and a lovely picture to end it up.

Shrinky said...

Hi there indiaspecies, so good to see you again. Ah, you are very kind, thank you my friend. Smile.