Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Running in the Rain

Kilchurn Castle, Loch Awe, Scotland. 
(Photo curtesy of Google)

The mosquitoes, almost as high as we are, buzzed from the heat, warm cider and an easy promise of fresh, young blood, hang thickly on our scent, as we forge our precarious, downward decent to the gentle lapping shores of Loch Awe.

The placid, glassy waters are deceptive.  We are all warned of it's icy depths, cautioned not to swim there, leastwise never alone.  But on blisteringly hot afternoons it's lure proves irresistible, and we frequently spend an hour or two in between a split shift, splashing and cooling off together in it's crystal clear body. 

Swimming is not our aim tonight.          

Doogie the hotel cat dogs our trail, his ears alert, and with his poker tail thrust loftily high, he pads gracefully behind, following us down on our single-file mission along  the softly-shadowed, moon-glown path.  We are not quiet on our quest; shrieks, jibes and laughter shake the midnight air, scaring the odd bird to flight, and doubtlessly scattering countless armies of other unseen creatures away.

Pausing to suck on his inhaler, Fat Kenny (the trainee pastry chef ) entreats us to hold up some, that he might catch his breath, and Simon (the porter) slows down the lead, snatching the opportunity to slap some midgies from the nape of his neck.   I (the waitress) fail to brake in time, and slip with a squeal into Amy (my fellow waitress), almost felling her.  Lightening quick, good old Will (the trainee woodsman, local heart throb, and my current beau) shoots up a steadying arm to balance us, chuckling over my ridiculously impracticable high heels.  I give him a mock swat as we trudge ahead. 

I tell him he's a "tuchter", lacking sophistication, with no idea over how us fashionable City girls are obliged to dress.  He simply shrugs, smiling, twining his hand in mine.

We've been seeing each other for almost a month now, and other than an odd chaste peck on the cheek, he still hasn't kissed me.  I'm on the verge of pulling his sister aside soon, to seek advice.  She's older, and married, working at the bakery next door to the hotel, which is how she and I first met.  We'd instantly hit it off, and before long were often watching movies together at her home, whilst her hubby worked the night shift down at the docks, in Oban.  Will had rode up on his motorbike one evening, then took to calling round more.  Shy, it took him a couple of weeks to ask me out on a date of our own.  His sister Meg still teases him over that.

Clutching our flashlights, the five of us pick our way towards the tethered rowboat.  It's a tight squeeze, us girls sit at the end opposite fat Kenny to level the boat. Will pushes off, and jumps aboard to pair Simon as oarsman.  Doogie glares out from the sands, waving us off with a spiked, bristling tail. 

Steadily rowing in tandem, both the lads glide us slowly towards the derelict shell of Kilchurn Castle, sitting eerily abandoned on it's own deserted island, with the vast moat of Loch Awe for protection.

We don't expect the locked chains and danger warning signs that greet us.  The whole place is sealed off.  "Unsafe", "Keep Out" is printed across every boarded up entrance.  

Disappointed?  No.  Challenged?  Of course!

Will scales a crumbling wall, and I throw my shoes up for him to catch.  Fat Kenny offers me his broad back, and I happily hitch a piggy-back.  He now grabs my feet, telling me to straighten my legs and to stand, as Will reaches over to grasp my outstretched hands.  With Fat Kenny guiding my bare toes to the rough boulder wall, I seek and find first one foothold, then a second, hoisting myself up further and closer to the top.  Will's vice like grip is wrenching my wrist at the (it's not an ankle, I don't know the god dammed name for it) socket, and I lose a footing..

So I'm stuck dangling, yelling blue murder, as Amy on the ground tries to stop giggling long enough to assure me my frock should provide a sound enough parachute, should I drop.  I tell Fat Kenny he'll go stone blind if he doesn't cover his eyes right now, and feel my hands almost wrenched from my arms as Will redoubles his effort to winch me higher  - earnestly howling now, I miraculously RUN up the remaining wall, bum tilted high, scraping both forearms in my haste to breach the parapet.  Hiked to roll and sit atop the wall, I swing my legs round and over, and am hugely relieved to find a stout ledge running mid way all along the other side.  A small scramble later, and not a little worse for the wear, the safety of a welcome flat earth is soon beneath my feet.

Amy comes next, and she aces it.  No cuts or bruises, her Doc Martin boots and sturdy denim jacket provides ample protection against the climb.  Poor Fat Kenny tries, pulling a boulder or two down with him.  It's not looking good.  He and Simon confer.  They call out, saying they'll walk the perimeter in search of an easier entry, to hopefully meet us inside.

It's spooky and dark in here, isolated, dank and damp.  So naturally, we decide to split up and explore alone - as you do.  (Gulp.)

Clutching my torch tightly, I set off to climb the spiral steps leading up to a gaping black cavern.  I tread carefully, not all the steps are stable, some have under-ledges where the stone has dropped or worn away.  Mid way up my blood freezes.  I barely hear the low, menacing hisssssssssss before, shooting out from under the stair, something cold and hard clamps fiercly around my ankle.  A sharp pinch jolts every nerve ending alive, another stab sends my heart sky-rocketing out of my throat, I let go an ear-shattering, endless scream from way down in the deepest depths of my belly.. the Mummy/Werewolf/Headless Horseman/Vampire/Flesh-Eating Zombie has finally come to get me 

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!

Good old Will reaches me first, Amy is hot in pursuit behind.  I'm not listening.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!


"It's okay, calm down - look - it's a goose, it's just a silly wee goose!"   Heart jack-hammering, I take his word for it, the hissing creature from hell is taking bites out of my other ankle now.  Time to call it a day, we inch rapidly backwards as fast as we can, although chased by the attacking goose, we are also acutely aware that this set of stairs is most likely to collapse beneath our feet at any God given step.

Oddly enough, it doesn't take us near as long to scale over the wall  this second time around.   Alarmed, Simon and Fat Kenny have already legged it back to where they left us, and as we all fall into each others arms, the ruffled goose still honking loud behind the castle wall, we are laughing so hard the tears start to spill.


Back in the boat, mid-way to shore, a rumble of thunder precedes a splat or two of rain, and a slight breeze picks up to ruffle our hair.  Thankfully, the wind is with us to speed us along, and we manage to alight before the storm truly hits.  Once docked, we sprint in the quickening rain, running soaked, drenched now, heading for the shelter and safety of our (if not Will's) hotel.  We are not - officially -  allowed to take visitors back with us, but as Will is part of our adventure tonight, we nominate him as an honorary member of staff, and smuggle him in through the back door entrance, loudly shooshing and hushing each other up as we go, trying hard not to waken the dreaded house-Keeper,  Mrs. Grace,  the she-who-must-not-be-disturbed-at-all-costs-lest-she-eat-you-up-and-spit-you-out, as we giddily tumble indoors and down into the kitchen.

Toweled dry, we sit around the table sipping our steaming mugs of comforting hot chocolate, exchanging banter and listening to the rain.  Tired now, and with our duties soon calling, we wind down to face the coming day.  The storm seems to be passing as quickly as it sprung, just a drizzle now remains.  Draining her mug, Amy takes her leave, Fat Kevin and Simon soon follow on.  Will too has work come the morn, I walk him to the door.

Almost gone, he turns, and tilts his head down, stroking my face, he leans in closer -  and gently turning my legs to water, he sweeps me up into that first ever, much longed for, full, deeeeeep smooch. 


Photo Copyright of Shrinky


(Yes, I am a dirty, rotten cheat - this is a re-post!)

115 comments:

Barry said...

Cool, it's already the 25th in the UK. This is quite a birthday story Shrinky! You paint some nice visuals here.

I think maybe the word you want for wrist is "wrist". I can't think of what else to call it.

You saved the best line for last, "and gently turning my legs to water, he sweeps me up.."

If it's possible for a guy to swoon I'm doing it. I live for imagery like this. :)

Portia said...

I can only dream of being able to write the way you do. And, yes, I have a degree in Literature. Oh well!

I LOVE the castle photo! Here in the US our history does not go back all that far. Castles? Awesome!

Barbara Shallue said...

What a fabulous story and an envious memory!

Leslie: said...

Thoroughly enjoyed this story and absolutely in awe of the photo of the castle!

Grandma's scrapbook said...

Here as Leslie said, "Thoroughly enjoyed this story and absolutely in awe of the photo of the castle! Thanks. A nice weekend, and best wishes to you!

mythopolis said...

This played like a movie in my mind. I luvvved it! As for that picture, I'd like to grab your wrist by the ankle too! The whole tale called up so many of those wonderful yet awkward moments coming of age. You are a wonderful story-teller, Shrinky. I would like to read the sequel!

Akelamalu said...

You paint such a vivid picture I could visualise everything!

Shrinky said...

Aw Barry, you give such great comment! Nah, it's that particular knuckle part of the wrist I am searching to name, y'know? Maybe it doesn't have one, but it should! I still recall the dizziness of that first kiss (a pleasure delayed really is a pleasure enhanced - sigh)..

Shrinky said...

Hey Portia, I shall never forget the moving tribute you wrote to your mother - your writing completely blew me away - methinks you are FAR too modest! Castles? Pah, there is one on every corner here, we were a bloodthirsty lot, always invading or being invaded (guess they didn't have telly to watch back then)!

Shrinky said...

Hi Barbara, seems the older I get, the more I recall my glory days.. everything seemed possible back then, didn't it?

Shrinky said...

Hi Leslie, I wish I could lay claim to have taken the castle photo, but I might get blisters on my tongue if I do (pout)!

Shrinky said...

Hi Grandma's scrapbook, thanks for the kind words, yup, it's the weekend again, isn't it? Scary how fast the week flies round. Hope you have a good one, hon.

Shrinky said...

Oh Dan, there never was a sequel really. When Will's ex-girlfirend of two years standing came back from serving in the forces, he promptly dumped me from a great height (sniff). I always knew he was a "tuchter".. (AND she had the face of a bag of nails!)

Shrinky said...

Hiya Akelamalu, I wrote this in the wee small hours, and had such a vivid dream of it last night (I woke with a smile on my face)..

chewy said...

Ha-ha! You got "goosed"... I first pictured a poisonous snake. eek!

When you set yourself down to writing... you fully capture my attention and take me there with you. I think this is the first time I've heard a story from when you worked at the hotel in Scotland. A charming story it is! - And... I can only imagine YOU heading out to ruins in a dress with high heels. Amy was much better prepared in her attire. (giggle)

Shrinky said...

Haha, yeah Chewy, I guess I WAS well and truly "goosed", at that! Fortunately, as far as I'm aware we don't have ANYTHING poisonous in our UK woodlands, the worst you can get is a wasp sting. And um, I've always been prepared to suffer for my style, it's my trademark, so there (sticking my tongue out)! I thought I'd told you about my stint at Loch Awe? Och, back then I had so many jobs even I've lost the count! There was no bus route from Loch Awe to Oban, the main town - the only option was to hitch-hike. I must remember tell you of some of those adventures!

Suldog said...

Excellent tale! You truly do have a way with words, Shrinky. Stories like this are your meat.

Speaking of meat - and knowing full well we're both happy in marriage - I have rarely seen a nicer set of legs. Great photo.

mythopolis said...

'tuchter" ? ! You come up with the most amusing expressions...I had to look that one up. And her face was a bag of nails?!! hahaha...I've never heard that one either!

Ok, so there's no sequel...so, you are just going to have to come up with some other kind of juicy story!

Shrinky said...

Dan, I think the saying goes, "God protects all fools and drunks.." I have put unknowingly myself in danger countless times, but always seem to have come out of it relatively unscathed. I would freak to imagine my own children landing themselves in some of the situations I did. That said, no regrets (insert thousand mile happy stare). I have literally dined with both kings and beggars, and have mostly enjoyed every journey! (So much stills my pen, for fear my chikdren may stumble in here!)

Shrinky said...

Awww Jim, see, this is why I love you so much! ((x))

mythopolis said...

OK, I was just on Tatty's site, and now know what you must write about.....the dating service....come on, Shrinky....out with it!

Shopgirl said...

What an amazing story. The first three paragraph reads like poetry, and feels like a painting. I was with you on that adventure over the wall, and that final kiss made me swoon for the sweetness of the moment.

More please!

Jillsy Girl said...

Wow! I was sucked in with the first sentence and didn't let go til the last word. Fantastic!

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

most excellent

tattytiara said...

Oh what an amazing adventure. I laughed so hard at the goose!

Shrinky said...

Hmn. Dan, I have never been a gal to kiss and tell.. but that ad I ran, well you have to understand, it wasn't an ORDINARY ad, at that point I was kinda' successful in my own right by then, and my standards were certainly high.. it um, brought in quite a collection of "names", some pretty well known. I never did things by half's back then (grin)!

I'm tempted tho', let me think on it!

Barry said...

PS, you're up on me by one on your "list" (possibly two but one needs clarification). It would be interesting to compare.

Barry said...

Okay so here's me blitzing your comments section. I just can't stay away for some reason.

I read your reply about the "knuckle in the wrist" and mentally reverted back to my high school Biology days a bazillion years ago. I believe the word you're looking for is the carpal bones.

Shrinky said...

Oh Shopgirl, what a lovely thing to say, thank you so much, you've made my day!

Shrinky said...

Cheers Jackie-Sue!

Shrinky said...

Hi Tatty, ha, yeah I really thought my goose was cooked.. (cringe)!

Shrinky said...

Barry, methinks that would be giving out a little TOO MUCH information..!

Ah, you clever lad, you, yes - carpal bones! Hmmmn, still, it doesn't have the same ring to it as "knuckle" or "Ankle bone", does it? Ah well, least I have a peg to hang it on now (smile).

SJ said...

Unlike Will the goose got to the kissing stage without any hesitation.

TechnoBabe said...

This was so fun to read. You don't go too far into depth of the descriptions, just enough for the reader to conjure his or her own visual. This is a thoroughly enjoyable piece to read. Should be a short story in a magazine.

Jayne said...

Ah - my kind of adventure. I would have been right there with you. ;) Very visual piece, and you sure know how to pull us in and keep us right there with you.
And alas, it all ends with a kiss. Joy!

Brian Miller said...

wow shrinky your words suck us right along...beautifully written...dont worry i have similar reaction to geese...lol and i love the end as well...

Barry said...

A little TOO much information? I suppose. Pay no mind, it's just that boldness and curiosity I mentioned earlier sneaking up on me again. :)

Putz said...

always your story reminds me of one i have had<><><>i have been down many of your{in the past} locks, glens, kays<><><>i remember being on top of one looking down at a steamliner comming up a lock and me on the top with a whole geese of goose and goats after i had put up the tent for us all in 1969

Putz said...

p.s. have you ever been to the highlander hotel???/or viewed the highlander games?????i did in 69 and 1970, was on a bus tour and stopped for 4 days at the highlander hotel and then on to the islands of skye and harris for another 10 days

Putz said...

gaggle of geese i meant<><>,.burma shave you know what that means NOW don't you??><><>i think i did explain burma shave to you>>>when i do 3 comments

Kate said...

Mysterious castles and high-heeled shoes. Rain, mist and hormone-ladened youth. One word: HOT! Thanks, Shrinky.

Shrinky said...

Sj, if that was a kiss, I'd hate to see his bite!

Shrinky said...

Aw Technobabe, it's not really a story, more just a scrap of memory, but thanks for that (smile).

Shrinky said...

Hi Jayne, I think we all remember the first kiss as the sweetest! It was the perfect end to a lovely night.

Shrinky said...

Hi there Brian, I consider that quite a compliment coming from such a skilled wordsmith as yourself, thank you my friend!

Shrinky said...

No worries Barry, I hear God loves a trier (grin)!

Shrinky said...

Aw Putz, you have certainly seen some beautiful parts of Scotland. And yes, I have seen the Highland Games several times - my parents used to take us there when we lived in Aberdeen - I strongly recall sitting on my fathers shoulders, watching the tossing of the caber!

Shrinky said...

Kate, it WAS quite a heady mix at 17!

Out on the prairie said...

Guard geese can be bad. A friends knocked his neighbor down and sprained his wrist.A lovely tale of suspense and passion.

Shrinky said...

Ooh, that I can believe, they can be quite fierce (as I found out)!

Skunkfeathers said...

Great story, and the key part of it I get is that the fabled Loch Ness Monster....is a goose ;-)

Shrinky said...

Haha, Skunk, all those centuries of research, and you solve it in five short minutes - I always knew you were smart!

Raven said...

This is simply awesome. I loved every word. It's so vivid, I felt like I was there, part of the gang. :)

Shrinky said...

Aw shucks, thanks Raven, you can come back in here any time, girl (grin)!

Jinksy said...

Thanks for a Sunday afternoon story to brighten a soggy day! :)

Pat Tillett said...

Very good! It was so vivid that I could visualize it...

Joanna Jenkins said...

You tell the best stories-- I hang on every word.

Nice job. xo jj

Richard G. Crockett said...

After seeing your comment on my blog, I thought I'd have a visit. I was not disappointed. I love the way you have mingled realism with a fable-like quality. Or maybe it is just that decrepit old castles and Scottish lakes will do that. Is it even possible for them NOT to be haunted?

Also, I have been bitten by geese a few times. Territorial they are.

And that kiss at the end was a masterpiece.

Shrinky said...

Hiya Pen, there's a promise of spring this morning, the sun is up, and the crocus' and daff's are opening in the garden - here's hoping summer will soon be on it's way, eh?

Shrinky said...

Hi Pat, thanks for stopping by.

secret agent woman said...

It's early in the morning and I just got my coffee, but still you made me laugh out loud with the goose bit.

Shrinky said...

Hi Secret Agent, I've never been able to look a goose straight in the eye ever since..!

Margaret Benbow said...

This real-life event has every element of a great horror movie--imperiled teens in creepy isolated castle try to escape dangerous ghoul (goose!)--but the heroine (you!) is so exuberant that your movie would be a lot more fun than most.

Laura Howard said...

Sounds somewhat like my youth except we'd have been wearing doc martens and running through old cemetaries...what a rush! You are great!

Shrinky said...

Hey there jj, you sure do know how to make a girlies heart smile ((hug))!

Shrinky said...

Hi Richard, how great to see you in here, thanks for stopping by and for the kind words, it means a lot to me.

Shrinky said...

I love how your mind works, Margaret!

Shrinky said...

Hey there Laura, you sound like my type of gal (grin)!

Hilary said...

You sure do know how to tell a story, Shrinky. I felt like I was part of the gang. Thanks for the adventure.

Shrinky said...

Hilary, I spent a summer season at Loch Awe, it proved a magical time (inserting a wistful smile..)!

Moannie said...

Wonderful story brilliantly told. Waiting for the hair on the back of my neck to go down.

Gaston Studio said...

Super post! I think I would have fainted had that goose grabbed at my ankle!

Congrats on POTW.

kcinnova said...

You tell a marvelous story. And yes, geese can be evil!
Congratulations on your well-deserved POTW!

Parabolic Muse said...

seventy-three comments before mine?! What the hell??

I love this.

smooches!
C

Mushy said...

I must say that was petty cool!

ladyfi said...

What a wonderfully written story!

Fen said...

ha ha awesome. But why didn't Doogie save you?!

ethelmaepotter! said...

It's not only the story, but the way you tell it...!

I must admit, I was a bit frightened when the Mummy/Werewolf/Headless Horseman/Vampire/Flesh-Eating Zombie grabbed you...but I sure would like to hear the goose's version of this tale!

Congrats on your well-deserved POTW!

Land of shimp said...

Hehe, geese are scary when they're angry! I'd have screamed the wall down, personally.

This was a lot of fun, Shrinky. Plus, what a wonderful name "Loch Awe".

I do think that Kenny would like to campaign for a new nickname across the mists of time ;-)

toemail said...

Wonderful post, really enjoy your writing!

Shrinky said...

Hi Moanie, sheesh, my heart still pumps faster as I think of that goose!

Shrinky said...

Thank you Gaston Studio, and how lovely of you to pop by - I look forward to visiting with you!

Shrinky said...

Kcinnova, I'm delighted you've stopped by, thanks for the lovely words (smile).

Shrinky said...

Aw Chrissy, I cheat - it's only half really, if you subtract my replies! Smooches back at ya' (x).

Shrinky said...

Hey Mushy, good to see you again (hugs)!

Shrinky said...

Ladyfi, I am so pleased to see you in here, I must pop over to see what you've been up to!

Shrinky said...

Fen, Doogie had far better sense than to get involved!

Shrinky said...

Haha, Ethelmae, I'd love to hear it told from his perspective - now there's a thought..!

Shrinky said...

Yeah Alane, poor old Kenny - I wonder whatever became of him? Maybe he joined a gym, and turned into a Mr. Universe?

Shrinky said...

Hey Toemail, welcome back hon! Thanks for the kind words.

Middle Child said...

Wow that is just so lovely - what happened to him? Amazing the details you remember and such a good retelling of the tale thank you

Sex, Drugs and Bacon Sandwiches said...

Fabulous stuff Shrinky... and the pic makes me desperate for my next trip to Bonnie Scotland :)

Shrinky said...

Therese, he dumped me from a great height as soon as his ex-gf arrived back in town. Hmph.

Shrinky said...

SS&BS, your wee granny will be pleased to hear that!

Shen said...

I was totally engrossed again - and right there with you. You have such a talent for bringing us all along on your memory journeys.

I noticed that kenny became kevin in one line - perhaps a name changed to protect the innocent? Just thought you might want to know.

Thanks for sharing, again.

365 Attempts (At Life) said...

Man, you make me feel like I don't know how to write! This was so effortlessly eloquent and charming. I could almost hear your voice telling it to me. For a girl in Montreal, reading your accent and clever word choices was such a treat. So happy to have found your blog (and that you tripped over mine). I can't wait to eat up another serving of what you're cooking.
Cheers!
Tanya

Leslie: said...

Well, I for one, haven't had the pleasure (???) of reading this before and I must say it's a great yarn...or is it non-fiction? Reminds me of the time I climbed the cliff at uni from the nude beach to the dorm in the dead of night! Must tell you that story some time! lol OH...I wasn't nude - that would have been very painful. lol

roaring40 said...

If that brown number was what you had on, Fat Kenny would've been gay if he hadn't copped a good eyeful. Clambering up a curtain wall in any sort of skirt unless you were going Amish that day, and lets face it that was a thin prospect, would've provided the west coast of Scotland with a full display of whatever colours you were flying that day. Nevermind the fella beneath you with a hand on your rump, shoving.

You captured the essence of how the Celtic regions play the game exactly. Where the girls do the chasing until they are caught.

MarkD60 said...

Maybe this being a re post is why it didn't show up in my Google Reader. It was good to read.

Bone said...

A fine tale, Shrinky! Splendidly written.

I once had 3 dates with a girl with no kiss. I rubbed her feet for a bit, but I don't know what that really meant. We never made it to date #4.

Joy Rockey Palakkal said...

So beautiful depiction!!!
Nice Narration...
With All Best Wishes....
After A Break Reaching Here sorry...

Suldog said...

As great on the second read as it was on the first. You have the gift.

Did you post that photo on the first time through? If so, I know I must have made some comment about those fabulous legs, so no need to do so again, I suppose.

(Having noticed the dates on some comments, I've now scrolled down to see if I did comment before. I did, and I said something nice about your legs. I know me well!)

X. Dell said...

(1) You know, I mostly saw Scotland from the seat of a train, one week in January. Is there any place, or any time where it doesn't seem gloomy? I mean, the (gorgeous) picture you posted is of a bright sunny day, and there still looks like a lot of intrigue in it.

(2) The geese around here have been known to peck through car doors with their beaks. A goose is far more terrifying than a non-existent mummy (or daddy).

(3) As for your shed, hmm. I think Sam should be the final judge of it's merits, even if it's not going according to plan now.

(4) Glad to see your husband's shoulder has improved. Lord knows what you would have done in another fire.

(5) A belated Happy Mother's Day. Of course, if you were here, the Mother's day greeting would be premature.

Fragrant Liar said...

Well done, Shrinky. Engaging writing there! Several phrases created fun images in my head, and you pulled me along with you!

Kittie Howard said...

I remember this post. It was even more fun the second time around.

Joanna Jenkins said...

You tell such a great story! Thanks for this one and I hope more follows.

xoxo jj

Margaret Benbow said...

Shrinky, please never apologize for a repost--if it was worth saying once, the second time is even better. Your memory must be incredible. You've brought forth so vividly all the details of that youthful, scary, thrilling time.

Along These Lines ... said...

Nothing wrong with re-posts. Great description of an amazing place.

toemail said...

Well, we were a bit confused by the dates on the comments but good to see you still up and running! :)

Dave said...

That's an interesting story Carol. Quite an adventure - DAVE

politelyinsulting said...

Hey misses, I'm backkkkk!! Looks like you haven't posted for a while (although not as long as me!). I hope you're still around, I've missed you...

Margie said...

Shrinky,
Visiting some of those I used to when I blogged, trying to get back to it.
This is a wonderful read!
You are a very good writer!

Take care
Margie

bill lisleman said...

Any chance you are going to write up here again? You tell great stories. Also, you have left great comments on my blog. Either type of writing long short here there would be appreciated.

wishihadakarmaanghia said...

Thinking about you, lovely Shrinky! Love this post. Hope all good on the isle xxxxx

Gina Gao said...

This is really amazing!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com