Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Warning: May Contain Nuts



I'm having a few woes over the "shed" rebuild, as it's not going to the agreed plan, the builder keeps cutting corners to save on his time and money at MY expense, and presenting finished results we haven't agreed upon.  

Latest is, I have to bend double if I want to see out any of the bedroom windows.  WTF??  Instead of demolishing and rebuilding from scratch, he's decided to retain the front wall, only to build around it -  it was a PIGEON COOP originally, and we humans require a tad more space than they do.  The agreement was the bedroom would be built to the exact same spec as to the other living quarters he'd erected -  much larger than this.  

Yes, we do have an itemized, signed contract, admittedly one he doesn't seem too bothered honouring, and I am certainly doing my best to hold him to it, but it's creating much unnecessary stress and bad feeling, and I've found myself compromising to a far less satisfactory job than was originally planned.  

Sadly, two thirds the way into the build, it's far too late to even consider hiring anyone else, and we appear stuck with it.  Work began in December, and there is still no sign of when it'll end.   

At least we are not paying by the day, thank heavens, and in fairness, someone has been working there every week - they haven't run off and left the site or anything - but, sheesh, the back garden is uninhabitable, and my poor dog has cabin fever.  I just want it DONE, and preferably to the way that we agreed to have it.

Actually, I am going to have to check myself from running into a full blown rant regards all other things that is infuriating me right now.  All the TV's in our house have been knocked out thanks to the "upgrade" SKY has given us.  This is the third week and third engineer visit we're waiting upon.  Earlier this week, I got so mad I decided to cancel everything out altogether (having held the line for over three hours, twice, only to be rudely cut off again) - but I've been informed that it takes three months paid notice for any cancellation, and that they won't send an engineer round once I serve it. Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

I also wasted all day a week last Friday, for the courier to arrive to collect my newly serviced sewing machine that doesn't work.  No one came.  The shop told me it was the courier's fault, the courier told me the shop hadn't given them any booking to collect it (it has to be sent over to the mainland).  It took another week and yet another day waiting in for it to finally be picked up, and it'll be at least another week before I can hold out any hope for it's return.

Oh, and don't let me even start on the furniture I ordered on-line two months ago.  Every time I chase it up, they've lost my details and need to start over.  I know I should just cancel, but I can't find the same style for the right price, and I've really, really set my heart on it.  Besides, as it turns out, it's not like I have anywhere to put it anyway, until the outbuildings are complete, right?

On a lighter note, hubby's shoulder is healing.  He tripped over on his way home from the pub and completely dislocated his shoulder, not mention the black-eye, and that yard of skin he donated to the pavement.  He insists, "I only had two pints, I WAS NOT drunk".  

Yeah, right.  

Unfortunately, this was on the week he works away in London. He thinks the adrenalin (not the booze) saw him home - it happened just yards from our flat, and he managed to see himself indoors before collapsing on the bed.  Then he couldn't move.  Literally.  Other than to phone an ambulance.  The police had to break the door open to rescue him.  He was discharged with painkillers and a sling the next day (took gas and air to set the bone back into the socket).

Since arriving back to us, he hasn't been able to drive, cut his food, or to do much of anything else for ages.  Then I caught him yesterday (oh boy, did he jump) making himself a huge fry-up just as he thought I was well out of the house and away.. SURPRISE!!

Hmph. 

He's since made a miraculous recovery, lost the sling, and is out gardening in the front, as I type.

Beccy's May Ball is coming up, and much as I'd love to get out of it, I have to go.  On the bright side, she turns 18 on the stroke of midnight there, so it saves me throwing any birthday bash for her -  but I've just found out my belly won't fit into the frock I want to wear, and so I'm now on an enforced diet, too.

Happy days, eh?

Just be grateful I've not also included in here what that Nutty Nora did to my Sweet Sam, this week.  Ooooooh, if ever I could tap dance over someones head.. and still the damn woman is totally oblivious (as ever)!   

Okay long-suffering friends, I know when it's time to get out of here, and I promise to return cheerier, slimmer and in a far better fettle, soon - Scout's honour.  XX

47 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Perhaps you should try the full blown rant. You may attract the attention of one deserver of same.

Shrinky said...

I'm working up to it, Joanne - first on my list is the builder, tomorrow morning - watch this space!

Mamma has spoken said...

WOW you fit the saying,
"If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all."
Hope things look up for you soon. But I do have to say, while reading about your cable/internet I was thinking I would so get rid of them especially since in this area, there is a lot of competition for your business. Sucks that they want you to pay 3 months advance. Is that legal?

Brighid said...

I'm thrilled your back blogging...and I am trying not to live vicariously thru others... But it's damn hard. You go girl!

bill lisleman said...

You think that bad why just last week the ....
I'm a lucky SOB/SOD so I don't have any good bad luck stories off the top or bottom. Fun reading about your hubby attempt to milk his injury.

Leslie: said...

Yes, well, himself suggested today that we take the two grandkids the next Saturday he's off! WHAT? We have a yapping puppy still! *sigh* I suggested we compromise and have the 9-year-old who is having set-tos with his Mom right now over his lack of reading! I WILL MAKE HIM READ! LOL Himself suggested he read some instruction manuals and help him to some things around here. Now THAT I like!...Good luck with the rant - make it good - and threaten to get someone else!

Vince said...

Hmm, a contract is a contract is a contract. Hold the builder to it. Mind you be careful he hasn't kept his side up.
If you haven't had planning beyond replacing what had gone he may well be saving you a ruddy fortune. Check to see if the new window is the same height as the old. The trick on the mainland in such cases would be to lower the floor inside to get the gain that way. Anyhoos you know contracts, you've been around them long enough. The same with sky. Tell em either fix it or come and take their crap off your property. Since three month cancellations only holds if one or other party want's out not when one party isn't holding up their side. Have they stopped taking payment. bet they haven't. Have they replaced into your a/c, the 'f' they have.
Sewing machines as iconic they are in shape and design are something I'd write into a short story. Otherwise, I'm a man.
Sorry about your fella. I doubt he'll thank you for telling that he couldn't open the door. On the other hand your face must've been priceless once you realized he'll be grand. I suspect some like a steam train venting at a station.
On the ball thing, you might try getting some Kombucha, the unpasteurized stuff, not the crud Tesco sells. Drink about 200ml-1/4 of a pint an hour before your main. It does fricking wonders.
18, that was quick. Best of luck to her and the rest of you. Did you get her driving yet ?.

Shrinky said...

Hi Mamma, ach we have absolutely NO competition at all over here, more's the pity - I had thought Virgin supplied to the island a similar service, but learned it doesn't reach this part of the UK - we have no cable at all, only satellite - and if you want a box that actually records your programmes, SKY IS the only option. (Grrrr...)

Shrinky said...

Hey there Brighid, how great to see you back in here again, how are you girl?

Shrinky said...

Oh Bill, he looked like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar when I barged in on him, his face was a picture (I tried hard not to laugh)..

Shrinky said...

I'm with you, Leslie, what's the matter with folks these days? As if you haven't enough to be doing as it is, eh? Still, sounds as though you've managed to hit upon a sound enough compromise there!

Shrinky said...

Ah Vince, you do make the cockles of my heart smile, you do. Yes, a contract IS a contract, and ironic enough, 'twas him himself who had us both sign it - I shall be marching down the garden clutching it to greet him as he arrives come the morn. Yes, planning stuff.. sigh. Yes. well, we'll see, eh? As for those robbing SKY merchants - it's hopeless Vince - as I said to their lackey spouting the company line, "How the heck can you still charge me for a service you are proven, and have admitted to ON RECORD, that you can't even provide me with??" I had the threat of the bailiffs calling over in his next sales pitch to me. Know the real killer? I want my box to record, and I can't get my box to record - the only hope I have of getting a box to record is to accept the crummy non-service SKY offers. I know this, they know this, so all my fury and indignation amounts to nothing - which makes me feel even more furious and indignant.

What the heck is Kombucha?? Will it make me lose double the girth if I double the dose, and for how long, ie, will it last the night before my frock explodes?? Oh yes, hubby - think he owes me now, don't you?

roaring40 said...

Be far worse for him if you 'don't' go nut cracking. 'Course everyone has their own inner dynamic.

The Kombucha will help but you need to get acclimatised to it. And the price of it means you won't be swilling the stuff. A product called 'Go' is what I use. Made in Surrey I think. It tastes like a good cider or champagne but with no measurable alcohol.

Hilary said...

If you can't vent to your bloggie friends.. :)

Hopefully things will be looking up soon.. and I don't mean through a leaky skylight or anything.

Shelly said...

A well placed rant now and then can help in many ways. Don't hold back, my friend- you've got enough on your plate without having to try and put a smooth surface on everything.

That builder alone would frustrate me to no end...

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Oh WOW, what a time you are having of it - grrr that stupid builder! doesn't he know this job could ruin his reputation??? sure sounds like he doesn't care! Amid everything else that is happening somethings gotta give!
All I can offer is some good old fashioned empathy and jolly big hug!
Keep us updated won't you?!

#1Nana said...

Why is it that I feel better after reading about someone else's misery? I hope your life settles back to island bliss soon. ...and Happy Birthday to Becca!

Denise Nesbitt said...

CXan you see me yet on the radar hun? I am here knock knock knocking!

Denise Nesbitt said...

Hey is this better Carol?

Shrinky said...

Cheers for that, Vince, I'll be trotting off in search of it via the health shop I think (once the nut cracking is given another twist), and will be sure to keep you posted on that!

Shrinky said...

I knew I could count on you Hilary, for a little tea and sympathy (smile), thanks my friend, it helps a lot to know I am not going completely crazy..!

Shrinky said...

Ahh, Shelly - so good to know I am not alone, I've been beginning to question if I'm not just going mad over all that's been coming down recently.

Shrinky said...

Rose, me darlin', I'm so glad I posted this, I almost deleted it - I feel so much better now for hearing that yes, I bloomin' well AM justified in wanting to go get the big guns out to shoot my corner clear - enough is enough, eh?

mythopolis said...

There was a man who fell out of an airplane. Fortunately he had a parachute. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Fortunately there was a haystack below. Unfortunately, he missed it. : ) hug...

Shrinky said...

Hi there Nana, y'know maybe it is BECAUSE I lead such a usually peaceful and content life, that I feel so flummoxed over these past recent events? I'm just not used to people being so devious and untrustworthy!

Shrinky said...

I still hear you loud and clear, Denise, but as I tried to explain before, your site bans me from returning your visit unless I join "your circle" in Google+, something I don't wish to do, as I have no desire to have all my sites linked up together - so once more, sorry.

Shrinky said...

Ha, thanks for making me smile Dan - yup, I think that sums it up pretty good! (x)

JACKIESUE said...

go for the rant..it always works for me.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Wow, that would make me crazy if the contractor flat refused to follow the contract!

Al Penwasser said...

Chaz Bono: May Contain Nuts
Jury's still out, though.

Fenstar de Luxe said...

Not sure I'd ever want to build anything, it always seems fraught with so many issues. Good luck!

Akelamalu said...

I'd be telling that building if he doesn't do what was agreed he won't be getting paid!

Catching your hubby making the fry-up made me chuckle. LOL

Darlene Duncan said...

No fear, I'm not allergic to nuts.

Bijoux said...

Oh dear.....all of that sounds maddening. I'm getting new kitchen counters, sink, faucet, cooktop and down draft next month. I'm truly dreading it all.

MarkD60 said...

Go nuclear on his ass. I got ripped off so bad by my contractor...

mrsnesbitt said...

Think we may be there Carol! Testing Testing!

Barbara Shallue said...

I'd be blowing a gasket, too, if I had all of that to contend with. I've been feeling a bit stressed, but you've made me feel quite ashamed. I hope everyone around you straightens up and you're able to fit into your outfit!!

Rock Chef said...

Maybe you should ask you husband what he had 2 pints OF! :-)

Hope things sort themselves out soon. We feel your pain with the furniture, having had a real saga ourselves last year...

Your builder problems sound like something from Grand Designs - why do people insist on messing about?

Sky - we cancelled ours recently - looked to upgrade but found it was stupidly expensive for something that would have been free to a new customer. Seems that 20 odd years as a faithful customer counts for nothing, so screw them!

Shrinky said...

Hi there y'all, thanks ever so much for all the tea and sympathy, I can't tell you how much of a boost it's been to hear confirmation that no, I am NOT going completely crazy (if perhaps feeling just a little bit sorry for myself). Thing is, sitting on my bum and moaning about stuff is never going to fix it, is it? Having posted this over the weekend, it helped me mull it over and decide to take control of that which I can.

On Monday, I gave the builder an ultimatum, explained what an eyesore he's constructing, and that as it's not even fit enough to sleep even a half-grown Hobbit in, I want it all taken down and rebuilt over again (to the way we'd agreed). I've sent him off to think about what he's done, and I've not heard a squeak since..

Damned if I'm going to the the first to break the silence ('sides, he's left all his tools and concrete mixer behind). I'll keep you posted.

Shrinky said...

Oh, the ultimatum is, if he won't do it, I'll find someone else who can.

Rock Chef said...

Good stuff! Blogging IS a good way of getting your thoughts together...

Shrinky said...

If I hadn't blogged this, RC, I seriously doubt I'd have gone through to challenge what he's building, and would've just sat stewing over it. It really, really has helped me to realise I had to put my foot down and stop the construction before it was too late. I met with him this morning, and he's agreed to make all the changes I want - I couldn't be happier now!

Dave said...

Frustrating times for all it seems Carol.Oh dear! Lets hope that one day it will all be over... - Dave

Anthony said...

Hopefully, it will all work out (and the finished product will be to specification).

Pat Tillett said...

wow! Time for things to turn around for you guys! That's enough of the bad stuff...
It's never too late to put your foot down with the contractor! if it's in the contractor, he's got to stick to it. It's up to you, because you've got a signed agreement. You can make him undo the offending part and redo it. Hang in there!

Suldog said...

OK, first and foremost, there will be a prayer winging its way to God after I finish writing this. Sounds like you could use a bit of divine help.

Now, do you have any competition to SKY? If so, ring them up and see if they're willing to fight for your patronage. I bet they will.

OK, off to say a prayer. Keep your chin up!

Akelamalu said...

Well done to you Shrinky!! Don't part with any money until it's done to your satisfaction. x