Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Chasing Pebbles

Ragged sea-offerings lie twisted and tide-torn, carelessly stomped about by a sharp northerly breeze. Seaweed and kelp strew helplessly across the sand, silently bleeding their vibrant colours to the dry suck of the lack-lustre sun. It's March, cold and biting, but no threatening clouds survive to dampen the sky.

Thrusting numbed glove-less hands deeper into her pockets, and mindful of the sudden rock-pools and miniature islands skirting at her feet, Adrian crunches across a narrow path of shingle, making her way towards the wide softer stretch of yielding sand which borders the waters edge. Picking her way around the hostile, beady stare of a resentful gang-thuggery of gulls, she braces her eyes against the tear-inducing wind to scan the shore-line.


Yes, he is there - the only other one fool enough to brace these elements, he is waiting. An involuntary smile hi-jacks her heart, and she quickens her pace.


He laughs, catches her excitement and throws his warmth about her. Erasing her life without him, she basks in this, her daily fix, light and twenty years young again, all is well.



"Have you been here long?"



He shrugs. "I'm always here."


"True."




Breathing his briney essence, she closes her eyes, drinking him in. They walk, pausing every now and then to examine a piece of treasure scattered along the shore. They know the art of dancing pebbles across the waves, have mastered the skills to condense the world in to one precious hour, and have the wisdom to know it is all and will only ever be, make believe. Outside her head the real world calls, a place they can never share. But here, tasting the sheer salt-spray joy of him, as each second is filled with a million shared thoughts..
It is enough.

23 comments:

Maalie said...

Hey, as I started to read this I thought it was poetry. But your first sentence isn't quite iambic pentameter, but it is still very poetic!

Shrinky said...

Ah Malie, now you've forced me to dig out the old dictionary again (sigh).

SJ said...

My essence isn't briney enough for Adrian ? The loss is hers.

Shrinky said...

sj,

Count your blessings, bonny lad. I forgot to mention - Adrian is toothless and 85 yrs old..

Mushy said...

Exercising the old brain I see.

This Adrian isn't Ruby (of Les Becker fame) in disguise is it?

Anonymous said...

I don't care how old she is as long as she's wearing leather pants. (wink)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Scott from Oregon said...

Yes! Is she in leather?

Shrinky said...

Ah sadly, mushy,

I'm afraid my lips are sealed!

Shrinky said...

Anon, don't think I don't know who you are!

Shrinky said...

Scott,

You've obviously not caught that recent post..

The Hermit said...

I like the ocean. We went a couple of weeks ago, and my wife told me it was sad that people died, because then the waves would still roll into the beach, but they wouldn't be there to enjoy it. She is the deep thinker in the family. At the same time, I was wondering if I should have crab or fish for dinner.

Shrinky said...

Hey The Hermit,

when my dad was taken in to the hospice for pain control, the nurse there pointed to the Acacia tree outside his window and described the beautiful blossoms it had in the spring.

When he told me about it, I knew he wouldn't live long enough to see them. I can never see an Acacia tree in bloom now without thinking of that. Life is too precious to take anything for granted.

The ocean is a very special place of mine.

pat houseworth said...

Sorry to say, as Ohio reaches March 1st(in about 8 1/2 hours) our Grand Lake is still frozen stiff....no lapping water here.

Robert said...

I was kinda walking along with you I could almost taste the sea air...it was so real I got a soaker...:)))) nicely done..I enjoyed it immensely

david mcmahon said...

``A million shared thoughts'' - I like that.

Shrinky said...

Oh Pat, I want to wear my thermal vest just reading about that! (Brrrr..)

Shrinky said...

Ah Robert,

You say the loveliest of things, thank you my friend. (smile)

Shrinky said...

Cheers David,

I just fancied a wee bit of fantasy for a change - back to normal posting now.

Rob Hopcott said...

Beautifully descriptive. Thank you for sharing :-)

Something I reflect on how a place I have visited in sunshine will look later in the night when all the living things of the sea shore are still there but I have gone.

Shrinky said...

Hi Rob,

Yes, the same thing crosses my mind as I tuck my kids up for the night..(sigh)

Rachelle said...

*sigh* how I miss the ocean...
She (yes, the Pacific's a she) was my friend, companion, and meditation focus while I was pregnant with my son.
I walked for miles and miles upon her shores.

Now the mountains are my solace, but sometimes, late at night, I can still here the *shush...swoosh* of her waves.

Thanks my friend for this beautiful glimpse.
Slainte~
Rachelle
Ps- thanks for "other things" too. Much love and gratitude, much, much.

CHEWY said...

If only it was enough.