Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

What's in a name?

It's been a bumper crop this year, when I try to shove so much as one more raspberry inside the freezer, it simply shudders and swings the door back out at me. Not that I'm complaining mind, it's just that it feels such a criminal waste to allow the over spill to rot. It doesn't help when the kids stubbornly refuse to scoff their allotted fifty a day. I've taken to resorting to disguise -

"C'mon, drink up your non-peach smoothie then, love."

"Mu-um, I've already got the trots.."

"Nothing wrong with a good clear out, you know, sign of a healthy system!"

(Ungrateful urchins.)

Yeah, I sense the mutiny a-brewing. There isn't even any takers for my Peach Cobbler these days. But not so quick to admit defeat, I thought, "Alright, how about turning some into jam?"

After all, if it works with apricots, why not for peaches? Being no body's fool, I know to use slightly under ripe fruit. Hey-ho, it sounded a piece of cake! Er, well it would have been, 'cept have you ever tried stoning a sack of under ripe peaches? It bloomin' well hurts, so it does. I gave up after the first five.

But I'm clever, me, I found a way around it, just tossed them in whole. There! The cooking process could take care of it, they'd mulch up in their own good time, wouldn't they?

Truth be told, it took a while longer than I'd reckoned. Adding some lemon juice (for extra pectin), I left it to bubble more. One hour later, it still wouldn't pass the set test. Perhaps another glug of lemon? Into the pot it went.

Well it's true, everything does eventually come to those who wait. Though I admit to being slightly surprised it turned out dark brown, there was no denying it was clotting now. Crumbs, once sieved, it still kinda' even looked okay(ish) to me .

I could hardly wait to try it out on the kids. Spreading a slice of toast, I went off to hunt down the youngest. Ever the people pleaser, she reluctantly agreed to take a timid bite.

"So? What do you think?"

She took a baleful look up at my hopefully nodding face, and sighed.

"Marmite??"

Close enough. Not missing a beat, I nod, "Got it in one!"

Hell, so long as it's eaten, who cares? Anyways, I feel a peach chutney day coming on for tomorrow, wish me luck..!

27 comments:

SJ said...

What's in a name anyway eh?
Wish you luck wiht your evil designs.

BRUNO said...

Well, I'd give it a try! A lot better than some of the "culinary-delights" that I myself have made, and eaten, in the past!

NO! I won't start THAT thread on ya', here!

Except to say:"YOU call 'em "The Trots". Yet another version of OUR "Screen Door Sh**s"---well, you get the general idea...???

Akelamalu said...

LOL you're right, it doesn't matter what you call it as long as they eat it! :)

FrankandMary said...

Creative naming sells products. No reason Mom's can't employ the tactic. Ungrateful urchins. We've all been one once or twice. ~Mary

Les Becker said...

LOVE the label - I'll have to attach that to EVERYTHING I cook. If I ever bother to cook again.

Les Becker said...

P.S. Come see my Mom give the internet the finger... Maude's Hog.

Daryl said...

If I lived nearby I would be happily gorging myself on your fruit ..

James Oh said...

I can't think of any good name for it. It is worth to give it a serious thought and good name sell well.

mrsnesbitt said...

Oh Carol, I am itching to make wine with these peaches! If you can get some over to Greg lambert,sidecar rider currently recovering in Nobles from an incident with a hedge whilst over in IOM, well he isn't far from us here...
other than that.....try this recipe. It is awesome! I made some for the village hall auction and they went for the highest price in all the preserves...

Pickled Peaches
* 8 pounds small, firm-ripe peaches (clingstone varieties are best)
* 1 gallon cold water mixed with 2 tablespoons each pickling salt and white vinegar
* 2 Tablespoons whole cloves (about)
* .
* Basic Pickling Syrup:
* 1 quart white vinegar
* 1 quart water
* 3 pounds sugar
* 4 sticks cinnamon, broken and tied in cheesecloth

Preparation:
Peel peaches, then dip in water-salt-vinegar mixture to prevent discoloration; leave whole or halve but do not remove pits. Stud each peach with 2 cloves.

To make the pickling syrup, place vinegar, water, sugar, and cinnamon in a large enamel or stainless-steel kettle and bring to a boil. Add peaches, a few at a time, and simmer, uncovered, 5-7 minutes until barely tender. Remove peaches with a slotted spoon and set aside while cooking the rest.

When all are cooked, bring syrup to a boil and pour over peaches; cover and let stand overnight (this plumps peaches and gives them better flavor).

Next day, wash and sterilize 10 (1-pint) jars and their closures. At the same time, drain syrup from peaches and bring to a boil; discard spice bag. Pack peaches into hot jars, then pour in boiling syrup, filling to within 1/4-inch of the top. Wipe rims, and seal. Process in a hot water bath 10 minutes. Remove jars from bath and secure seals if necessary. Cool, check seals, label, and store in a cool, dark, dry place 4-6 weeks before serving.

Shrinky said...

Thanks sj (demonic grin).

Hey Bruno, we say "trots", you say, aw well, never mind - like I said, what's in a name, eh? Wink.

Akelamalu, you are a woman after my own heart..

Frankandmary, yup, it's all in the marketing, eh?

Hi there les, hey, maybe that biker-chick ma of yours should come over with you, I'm sure she would know how to respect a peach!

Come on over Daryl, you don't even need to bring your own chair (just don't tell les).

Yeah James, who knows? I may have stumbled over a way to fame and fortune here!

Cheers Denise, I'm going to give it a go, watch this space.

jay said...

Hahaha! Peach jam isn't one of my favourites, but it's quite nice! But I thought you had to remove the stones because they contain cyanide or something? LOL!

Mushy said...

Mmmm, smells so good...in my mind!

Robin said...

you had me (and lost me) at peach cobbler.

yum.

Scott from Oregon said...

Marmite? Oh my!

But oh how I wish our young fruit trees would just get busy havin' sex and a litter or two...

I love home-made jammies...

Alex L said...

Well what are kids for if not to test food on...

Hilary said...

It sure looks and almost smells delicious to me. Always a fun read.. you my dear Shrinky, are a peach! :)

Jim said...

I wish you lived next door to us. Peach Chutney! Peach Jam! Peach Pie! Yum!

~Babs said...

LOVE IT!
I made jam once.
Only once.
We used it as peach 'sauce' on ice cream.
#:-D

PRH....... said...

Love me some peaches, as long as the fur is shaved off....the fuzz gives me the hebeejeebees> :}

Kit Courteney said...

Ewwww....

Angel... said...

Shrinky, I like your receipe for pickled peaches.. thanks so much for sharing.

chewy said...

um... what is marmite?

TechnoBabe said...

Peach chutney sounds mighty tempting.

Scott from Oregon said...

Hey, I've been eating dried fruit for snacks this summer as part of my beer tomorrow campaign...

Maybe you can nick a fruit dryer off a neighbor and make your fruit shrivel up?

chewy said...

Yes to Scott, dehydrated fruit chunks. Yummy snacks.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

It has been so hot heer our peach tree haz 2 peaches on it.

(By the way I like Marmite on toaste)

Cynthia said...

I'm still smiling after reading this post. What a conundrum, too many peaches and too few takers. Definitely, you must save them for when they would be appreciated. I loved your innovative strategies, especially dumping them in pit and all!

It seems like something I would do-my reasoning?-maybe no one has tried this time saving method before? My kids tell me upon occasion, "Don't get too experimental, Mom, we're hungry!"

Love your blog-it's my first visit but I certainly will return. <3