Pages

Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Bonding Project

In search of finding something to do outside of only nagging at my eldest daughter, I cast upon the idea of inventing a summer project we might both work together on. Something exciting enough for her to actually want to spend some precious time alone with me.

I figured appealing to her teenage self-absorbtion might work, so I suggested we give her permanent living quarters bedroom a bit of a face-lift.


She was tickled pink with the pair of bedside cabinets we found on-line. Complete with their little udders, they are kind of cute, aren't they?

Flushed with success, I presented her with paint-charts to peruse. On her way out, she said she would look at them tomorrow. Tomorrow arrived and she again said she would look at them the next day. And on it continued.

I gave up and chose the bloomin' paint myself, eventually enlisting her poor old dad to pitch in with the decorating. Yeah, it was a complete and miserable failure as far as any bonding projects go, but hell, at least I had her enthusiastic and undying (if albeit temporary) fresh love and approval for the time being (so sad the crumbs I'm grateful to receive).

AND..


TA-DAH!

These two chairs I rescued from our storage shed. They'd been languishing in there for the best part of over eight years, all battered, chipped and forgotten. I'm kinda' proud of my renovation, I think they look every bit as good alongside those shop-bought bedside tables up there.

I went to see what other rejected bits of furniture I might re-cycle..



I wasn't disappointed.




And to think, we'd inherited one of these little gems from the previous occupiers who'd only seen fit to leave it behind (I knew it would come in handy one day).




I confess to spending out good hard earned cash on this cow-hide rug, but hey c'mon, how could I resist, eh?




And see that glitter ball on the ceiling? 50p (pence) from a car-boot sale (yard-sale to our American friends).



A couple of lamps, some soft furnishings


And a few posters later..


And the whole place was transformed.


But as you can see, it's still yet a work in progress.


And although she has finally found fit to (for the time being) keep her on-suite loo clutter-free



(Oops, who's that in the reflection?)



Her closet is still a walk-in disaster (sigh).

Beccy has literally just returned this evening from a Netball tour in the UK.

"Mum, mum, guess what?"

"You won?"

"No, even better! This woman stopped us in the shopping centre, in front of all my friends, everybody - she said she represented a modelling agency, and said my face, figure and height was perfect for them - she wanted to give ME her card! It was soooo embarrassing - she said I could be a model! Can you imagine..?"

Catching my frown, she exits, shoulders slumped, with an, "Oh, relax. I told her my mum wouldn't let me."

(Hmph! I told you this new found undying love of hers would be short-lived.)

Sigh.

32 comments:

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, you are brilliant!!! I can sooo relate!!! Teens! But you have expressed it so wonderfully well in this anecdotal story...and have me laughing so hard! I absolutely ADORE what you did with your daughter's room!!! Can you come to my house??? Love you much, dearest Shrinky! ~Janine XO

TechnoBabe said...

Wow, lucky girl to have her own bathroom. The bedroom color scheme is fun and stunning. You did a great job. I hope she really likes it and appreciates the work you did.

chewy said...

Your self-painted chairs match the same exact splotchy-ness of the store bought tables. Excellent job!

Her closet is not a disaster... MINE IS!

Leslie: said...

Wow! I would love a room like that for myself! Of course, I had to take someone else's taste into consideration in doing mine a couple of weeks ago. One day (in the faaaaaaar future) your daughter will remember this room and all you did for her and that's when you'll get your reward. Either then or in heaven. lol

Novice Writer said...

I can see lots of work behind that makeover! Good job! :)

Novice Writer said...

And really liked those chairs!! :)

Hilary said...

Wow.. you did a great job of decorating her room. Such a fun, whimsical look. Very clever. :)

jinksy said...

A bedroom guaranteed to make any girl as happy as a cow in clover!

Shrinky said...

Hey Janine, is that a serious invite? Having just seen your beautiful house, I am severely tempted here! (Wink)

TechnoBabe, she used to share with her younger sister, but we moved her into her own bedroom last year, and ever since then Beccy has been wailing that after doing up Abby's new room, her's had been totally ignored. I hope this evens the scale (eyes skyward).

Aw Chewy (wagging finger), want me to come over there and nag you too? I can you know, just say the word! Thanks for that about the chairs, I've never done anything like that before, and I was surprised at how much satisfaction I got out of it.

Leslie, on the bright side, at least I've documented it so that I can give evidence I at least TRIED to get closer to her, evidence to show her when she is older, eh? Smile.

Novice writer, what started as a chore grew into a fun project in the end, despite Beccy going AWOL throughout, I actually had a lot of fun with it.

Hilary, the bedside cabinets camde first, everything else kind of fell into place - it's a bit rich for my tastes, a little too lush and decadent, but Bec being Bec, she simply loves it.

Haha Jinsky, so elequently put!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Dearest Shrinky...

You are a KEEPER!!! Nothing but NOTHING will ever get rid of me now... ;-) Mid-thirties? Oh, boy! Thank goodness for camera filters, and SOFT autumn light...LOL. I've loved you for your brilliant
writing, your artistic abilities, your fun and free spirit!

But now? Well,there's just no turning back...you're a lifetime friend :-)

And of course it was a serious invite...You are brilliantly talented...artistic! Your daughter's room is evidence!! And you're not going to believe this...but the mascot for our restaurant? A cow who says, "Eat Mor Chikin!" Too, too perfect!!

As I was reading this, I was wondering what color you were going to paint her walls...hoping for purple...and voila! It's gorgeous, and therefore, I think the "undying love" should last a bit longer!!! LOL...But if it cheers you any, suffice to say that you've won mine today! Love you! Janine XO

BRUNO said...

Maybe I overlooked it, but, it appears your "udder-cabinets" are missing ONE udder---I only counted THREE. Or, it COULD just be a VERY-uninspired bull, instead?

Mighty tight quarters on that bed. I'd love to be there when the alarm clock goes off---a "train-wreck" in progress!

And the only way that mirror-shot could've been more presumptive is if you were sittin' ON that "throne", while focusing...!

Akelamalu said...

Hey you did a great renovation job!

Crazy Four said...

Great job tastefully done. You can become an interior designer.

Scott from Oregon said...

You keep your daughter in the attic?????

How very Anne Frank of you...

I suppose it is one way to keep her outta trouble...

Love the new furniture...

Makes me think the world is a better place in black and white...


And full of milk.

simon said...

great work!

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

wow, l am turly inspired now...my daughter -18 at xmas- wants us to paint/decorate her room and do a makeover...we have chosen wallpaper and now its a stand off, as the room is always a tip, whatever l do she doesn't get it together...do you think if l plunge in actually transform it, SHE will be transformed too...l doubt it, but l am willing to give it a go..

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

btw award for you over at mine!

Shrinky said...

Oh Bruno, how typical of me to drag home a couple of disfigured udders! (grin)

Cheers Akelamalu, thanks for that!

Aw shucks Janine, stop making me toes curl - I only spoke naught but the gospel truth, so there! (x)

Crazy Four, I am afraid I have started something now, my son is on my case to do something with his room next - sigh..

Haha, well spotted Scott! Actually, she used to have the ground floor bedroom, but it has double doors leading out into the garden, I swiftly changed my mind about the wisdom of trusting her there - believe me, the attic is the only place in the house for Bec, and even then I sleep with one eye open!

Thanks Simon, I had a lot of fun doing it.

Saz, out of all my kids, Bec's bedroom was a walk-in disaster area, you had to climb over mountains of rubble to get in there, she just didn't care. It's early days yet, but I can't believe the pride she has taken in it recently, a complete transformation - I live in hope. I say go for it, whats to lose? Smile. Oh, and thank you so much for that heart warming award, its made my day!

DeeDee1Whoa said...

Hey there, please follow me over Google because I'm already following your blog. Return the favor. Thanks!

http://deedee1whoa.blogspot.com/

Shrinky said...

DeeDee, I find your blog a waste of space, as you obviously also do with mine, since you never care to read even what I've written. I am not quite as desperate as you are to attract followers, I am a little more discerning.

i beati said...

like that classy space - -yay colors really work

Shrinky said...

Aw, I am glad you think so, thank you Sandy (smile).

SJ said...

If you ever do interior decoration for a living you would be a billionaire. Awesomely wickedly great.

I always find your posts about your daughter hilarious. Sorry for lol-ing at your misery.

TechnoBabe said...

Shrinky, I found a recipe for you to use next year around Halloween.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Best-Pumpkin-Bread-Recipe/

Shrinky said...

Oh SJ, I'd settle for wealthy, truly I would! If you find any willing takers, send them my way, please! As for Bec, I forgive you, I can't help but laugh myself at times (sigh).

Shrinky said...

TechnoBabe, you little superstar, you! Thank you so much for that, I've filed it off and will DEFINITELY give it a go next year, I'll keep you posted. ((x))

PRH....... said...

Great Stuff...yep, I know, I've been absent for awhile. I like the black and white cow chair like photos...they make me head spin las.

Shrinky said...

Hey Pat, I'm moooch oblidged ya' like 'em (grin)!

Suldog said...

Hell of a nice job on the furniture, Shrinky. Must have been a nice bit of work, but worth it for sure. Very cool.

Sunshine said...

wow.. you have done really gud job awesome.. i love the black color theme you used it.. I think with black color you have to work really hard otherwise it will be really dark room.. you have done and used black color theme perfectly...

Shrinky said...

Cheers Suldog, I've still got the last bit to do, the area by the spare bed, I hope to tackle it this week - I've been drying out an ancient pine cabinet from the storage shed that got damp, I hope to paint it soon - fingers crossed!

Hello Sunshine, ah the black! Bec was worried about that, "Mu-um, I don't want to be labelled a Goth!" (Grin) It seemms to have worked out okay in the end.

jay said...

Oh wow ... very sophisticated! I bet she loves it, doesn't she?

And wow! She was 'head-hunted' by a modelling agency? What a great ego-booster for her! :)