Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Stepping Out

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I couldn’t believe little Lainee had never “done” Harrods before..  well, admittedly, her actual words were;

“Thankfully, I’ve always managed to avoid that particular tourist trap..”

Which of course I automatically knew really meant, “Why yes, I’d just love you to drag me through there.” 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

But being non-meat eaters, once inside, both she and our big sis’ disappointingly, flat out refused to accompany me through the food halls, and I had to agree meet up with them on another floor.  Apparently, carcasses don’t excite them anywhere near as much as they seem to do me.

Personally, I think their abandonment had slightly more to do with the security guard hot in my pursuit (photography being banned).  Sheesh, in these crowds it was easy-peasy to (eventually) lose him, my sisters have no faith!

Anyways, snapping photo’s on the hoof ain’t easy, so please cut me some slack on the quality posted up here, yeah?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA


I love, love, love this place, it’s all tiled walls and marble counters, huge high ceilings, and platters upon platters of FREE (yup) delicacies.  Eeeeeeeee, ‘tis nothing short of a Shrinky heaven!


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA


Aside from the wonderful architecture, echoing halls, and auspicious history, this place is laden with the most incredible of displays, not to mention a near endless variety of mouth-watering samples to plunder.


  
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It snaps me right back to my youth, and to when I first moved to London.  The flat I shared at the time with three other equally broke, struggling young girlies, happened to be located just around the corner from Harrods (which may partially account for the fact as to why we were such broke and struggling, young girlies in the first place).

Every Saturday lunchtime, we had a ritual.  We’d prowl the food-hall’s of Harrods, stuffing ourselves full to bursting with all the glorious freebies to be had – my, was it a feast fit for a king!  We were also sure to take full advantage of all the wonderful wine tasting there too, for the taking.  Finally, usually more tipsy than sober, we’d wind up weaving our short way home, to catch a very well earned, and much appreciated mid-afternoon snooze..  ahhh, those were happy days.

(Insert fond smile!)


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Oops, sorry, I digress..

From Thursday through to Sunday, big sis’, little sis’ and I all ran away from home reluctantly took a break away from our families, to catch up on some very long overdue, shared fun and frolicking together.

Oh, and what a frolic it was!
   

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA


We visited a few galleries, did some sights, laughed, giggled, gossiped, and generally reverted back to our (albeit, second) childhoods.  We even took in a West-End show, the sets of which were jaw-droppingly spectacular, and later, catching a ride all the way home in our London black cab, we followed the river Thames, passing, all still and floodlit, the sleeping Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, and the now defunct, but still unmistakable, landmark icon of the Battersea Power station.


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

No, I didn’t ride up front (black cab’s don’t have a passenger seat), I had to crouch to get this photo opportunity!  Our driver was as sweet as he was long suffering, and good naturedly allowed us to shamelessly take full advantage of him.  (If you are reading this Baz, thanks for the ride, you rock!)

Surprisingly, our last night out proved to be the best.  We opted to stay local, and booked cinema tickets before eating out.  When the time came to collect them, the lad behind the counter informed us we were THE ONLY patrons to come out to play that night; and that we had the cinema all to ourselves

As it turned out, I guess it was for good reason, ‘cos the film was pretty crappy, (“Killer’s” – a comedy, if you ever get the chance to see it, I recommend you pass) not that it mattered, we had such a blast!

We claimed our own rows, hooted at the screen, happily kicked off our our shoes, and put our feet up.  When the film proved too boring, we entertained ourselves with an all out, no holds barred, bare-foot popcorn fight (oh, don’t worry, our goody-two-shoes little sister made us clear up most of it before leaving).


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA  

I know, with the credits rolling, we look pretty scary here, but hey, isn't that what big sister's are for?

What you don’t see is the last of the carton of popcorn we threateningly clutch in our hands – ooooooooooh, and did we ever let her have it, after she took this (in her bid to distract us) photo (bwahahahaha)! 

31 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Great to read of your fab time in London hun and to know you are now back home safe on the Island! Do you think London was prepared? My best friend Maria and I certainly left our mark on a recent community in Staithes you may have heard of it - well let's say we made an impression! lol!

The Urban Cowboy said...

Sounds like ya'll had a great time terrorizing the area! I've never been to Harrods, passed through London once.

Suldog said...

I was in Harrod's when I was 14 or so, on a trip to London with my parents. I was shopping for a football (soccer ball) so it was more fun than might be expected for a teen boy. And we were staying somewhat nearby - the two Underground stops nearest our lodgings were Bayswater and Queensway - so it wasn't like I would have been stranded had I wanted to go back to the hotel.

Anyway, I enjoyed the place. I'd never seen a department store quite like it. Lots of interesting things to look at. I never did buy the football, but I think we bought some chocolates. Fun.

Leslie: said...

I would LOVE to spend more time in Harrod's! Sounds like you all had a fab time...wouldn't that be wonderful to have the theater all to yourselves!

Just wondering - are you the middle child?

chewy said...

Hey Shrinky!
(waggling finger) Don't you know how to behave yourself? (giggle) Leave it to you to get up front where you don't belong. What fun you all had! Love the red frock.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

I ADORE Harrods...THE FOOD HALLS ARE THE BEST!!!!! And I was about to shout enviously,"Hey, how did you get those pictures?" when you launched your explanation...ROFL...Only my kindred spirit!!! Tell you what...when I get to London one of these days...I'll meet you at Harrods...I want a dress like yours!!! You are tres chic in your dress and leggings...Such a beautiful blond! I'm sure you took the town by storm! Glad you had such a great time! It's good to have you back! Love, Janine XO

Daffy said...

Good for you! Sister time is SOOOOO important!!! Looks like a fantastic time and I'd love to visit Harrods some day.

Akelamalu said...

Harrod's food hall is amazing!

Sounds like you all had a blast and I love your outfit!

Mushy said...

A very cool look around your stomping grounds. Thanks!

Shrinky said...

Hi Denise, yeah I am back home, safe and sound (until the next time)!

Did you, Urban Cowboy? What took you there?

Yeah Jim, it is fun, but only as a one off, (to tell the truth, I'm not a great fan of shopping, regardless of where it might be) I think remembering Harrods through the eyes of a fourteen year old boy is probably as cool a memory of it as it can be.

Yes Leslie, how did you guess (grin)? Actually, I can't even lay first claim to that, as I have an older brother, which makes me the mere SECOND middle child (sheesh, hardly an auspicious placing in the pecking order, no wonder I turned out as I have)!

Aww, cheers Chewy, that frock cost me all of £10, fresh from the racks of TK Max (giggle).. and it's wrinkle proof (unlike me)!

Hello Janine, well now wouldn't that be something? I would be thrilled to give you the tour of my old adoptive town, just be sure to holler if ever you plan to go there again!

Hi there Daffy! My sisters and I have always been close, I think because there is such a wide age gap between us, (Lainee is ten years younger than me, May is five years my senior)we grew up without competing with each other.

Isn't it just, Akeamalu? And why thank you, kind lady.. I like that frock 'cos it's wash n' wear, and comfy enough to let me breathe out!

Hi Mushy my friend, ah you would be totally in your element down in those food halls, I know how much you appreciate good cuisine..

TechnoBabe said...

The smiles in all the pictures tell it all: You sisters enjoyed your time together to the max. What a treat that you could take some time together. I was in Harrods a few years ago. What a store!

Shrinky said...

TechnoBabe, we could hardy pose for laughing, in that last shot!

secret agent woman said...

I went to London when I was 18 and even I knew I had to go to Harrods. Not that I had much money to spend!

Looks like you guys had a great time.

Nancy said...

Sounds like a good time had by all! I can't wait to someday visit Harrod's. My husband said it was quite the place.

deb said...

I just love all that sister fun.
You're so blessed.

Joanna Jenkins said...

I could spend an entire day in Harrod's food halls :-)

It sounds like you ladies had a heck of a good time, even with a really bad movie. so glad you got a chance to scape and spend time together.

jj

Shrinky said...

Hi Secret Agent, ah, what a wonderful age to have visited London, how long were you there for?

Sure is Nancy, your husband was right!

Yes Deb, it's the first time we've taken off on our own in over twenty years! I think we may well now make this an annual event..

Hi JJ, I recall saying exactly the same about Macy's (grin)!

Land of shimp said...

Oh what fun! I've never been to Harrods but I do love the image of you and your flatmates descending upon it weekly to make a meal of the free samples! Ingenuity in action.

It's wonderful to spend time with the people who "get" us, isn't it? Just someone you can be silly or serious with. You're particularly lucky in that you have two sisters with whom to frolic.

Here's to running away from home!

Shrinky said...

Alane, May raised me, and I raised Lainee, we would never have survived our childhood without each other - yup, I guess you could say we are pretty tight!

SabiSunshine said...

Hi Shrinky

I loved all the pic and seeing you have a lots of fun.. one of the pic with all the choloates such like a teasing me seriously i love chocolates anyway i truly enjoyed this post.

love
sunshine

The Blue Zoo said...

Looks like a great time!! And I LOVE that red dress!! Was that you in the red dress?? Its gorgeous!! If we lived closer I would totally borrow it! LOL

The Urban Cowboy said...

I was overseas, Germany, with my company. Did a lot of traveling...Belgium, Holland, Spain, France, England, etc.

Pat Tillett said...

That was a great post! I'm so happy to get a photo and narrative tour of a place I've never been to.
thanks!!!

SJ said...

Apparently cinema owners are a LOT more tolerant in London than over here.

Shrinky said...

Hi Sabi, I was wondering how some of you would react to that chocolate shot (grin)!

Hello Blue Zoo, oh Lord, these are the crummiest pic's of me I've ever had the courage to actually post up here, ever! I took one look, and immediatley reinstated my fringe (bangs?) again!!

I'll bet you must have had so many adventures on your travels, Urban Cowboy - maybe you might treat us to a post or two of some, at a future date?

Hi Pat, thanks for stopping by again, and for the kind words (smile).

SJ, there were only three young kids running the place, and they were far too intereted in hanging out in the foyer with their mates, than to be bothered with the three old foggies running riot in their cinema!

chewy said...

We have TJ Maxx. I wonder if it's the same as yours?

laughingwolf said...

i see evil in two pairs of [otherwise] neat eyes! ;) lol

always good to have time out with pals... glad you enjoyed yourselves :)

Hilary said...

What a fun day. Thanks for the tour of Harrods I can't imagine a more fun look at it than through your eyes.

Shrinky said...

I dunno' Chewy, has it rails of last season's designer clothes at discount prices?

Ha, you noticed that, did you Laughing Wolf? (Evil grin)

Hi there Hilary, shame I only had my old compact camera in tow, but I guess it captured the flavour, if not so much of the detail, eh?

Skunkfeathers said...

London survived the "Blitz" of 1940...did Harrod's of 2010????

;-)

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Great, great shots!