Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Me and my Big Mouth



The teenagers confiscated my laptop this week for knocking all of theirs off-line. I didn't mean to. Besides, we already had a dodgy connection, that's why I got the Mr. Fix-It guy out in the first place, wasn't it?

Ungrateful urchins.

He was a proper darling too, he even upgraded my router for free - how's that for service? So seeing as how he was so easy to take advantage of considerate and helpful, I thought I might as well chance my arm ask his advice as to how to secure my network. I guess he figured he'd save himself a second trip out by doing it for me (dumb blond's sooo rule!). How was I to know I should have mentioned all the other laptops..?

Oops.

Anyway, all's well now - this morning our Mr. Fix-It guy did that second trip over he had hoped to leave out, and managed to put it all right once again. Seems the security settings were set too high for the older laptops to cope with. Must say, I am well impressed with the service, he came out within a half hour of my call, and I haven't been charged a penny for either visit! In fact, I was so impressed, I decided I'd ring his boss-man to tell him.

The last thing I meant to do was get him in trouble.

(Sigh.)

Seems he's not allowed to give out free routers willy-nilly, and he's certainly not meant to be frittering his time away by setting up my security levels, never mind throwing in all these free call outs.

(Good thing I never got around to mentioning how grateful I am about him cleaning up the hard drives, eh?)

Poor lad. I feel terrible now.

But I do seem to be jinxed as far as machinery goes, and you can bet your sweet arse that whenever anything does go wrong, it's always got to be on the week when hubby is on the mainland.

Take that car I scraped in the college car park the other week. Okay, I suspected it was my fault, 'cos it was parked up and empty when I hit it. The woman who initially flew down the steps, in readiness to launch herself across my bonnet, well, she turned out to be really decent in the end. I got out and apologised profusely, we swapped phone numbers, and we've had several long conversations since. Turns out her brother works in a paint spray shop, and will fix it up for free. I'm taking her out for a thank you lunch next week. Funny how things work out, eh? Seems she had me down as some sort of a nutter, when I first got out in my fluffy slippers.

I have to confess, most folk over here are pretty obliging. Remember that ever-so-posh Jag-lady I had to flag down the other week? She drove over ten miles out of her way after I leapt in her car.

Then, again at the college, when I was parked up waiting to collect Sam, one of his tutors whom I barely even know, well he came all the way over just to tap on my window. I had been wondering what had held Sam up for so long. He was kind enough to remind me Sam doesn't come to college on a Tuesday, he goes to a work-placement, a further ten miles along the way.

Sam wasn't too pleased, but as I reminded him, it could have been a far longer wait for him had his kindly teacher not pointed me on my way. Guess it didn't much help when I snapped the passenger wing-mirror off on his side, on the journey back (oh relax, it's electric, so the wires held it on).

His parting shot each morning now is to remind me where I'm picking him up again.

(I like to pretend to myself he's just being sarcastic.)

It's unfortunate I'm the only driver for five when hubby is off the isle, 'cos I'm the first one to admit I'm not all that good at it. I was nothing short of delighted when His Lord and Master removed the left concrete post from the top of our drive, least now when I pull down there, it's doesn't bite the car anymore.

Wish we lived near public transport. So do the kids. You should just hear them, talk about a chorus of back seat drivers, I've never known such a paranoid bunch of cowards!

But I digress.

What I am trying to say is thank God for the kindness of strangers, there are a lot of good folk out there, it's just a shame I had to run in to a nasty one today, when all I was trying to do was to give a little thank you back.

(Hope Mr. Fix-It understands.)

59 comments:

Choco said...

LOL! Only the awesome can laugh at their own.. well.. less awesome parts. You rock! :)

Choco said...

And this reminds me of a couple of months back, when I wanted to write an appreciation mail to a car pool/car parking supervisor. I had even roped in two others to write similar mails. He was getting transferred to a different place. And his service till date had been splendid and very people friendly. But then, just the next day, there were no cars in the parking lot, we had to wait in the scorching sun for a good half hour till I gave up and called his supervisor, and he decided to be sarcastic when he finally came in; late...
Still. Kindness does find its way, one person to another.. I will like to believe... :| :)

Chantel said...

Ah love, these things happen. I tend to use chocolate chip banana bread as tender to pay my personal debts. My neighbors wake up to a steaming loaf on their porch whenever they mow my lawn or return my kids crap from their yards. And yes, I've even bribed/coaxed our Fix-It fellow to do a few extras with warm loaf wrapped and handed to him--it's amazing, the power of warm sugar!

Now if only I could pay my taxes the same way....

Bijoux said...

You lead a very ummmm, errrr.....busy life, Shrinky!

Furtheron said...

Mr Fix-It should tell Mr Bossman where to stick his job and set up on his own...

Mr Bossman should have said - "Glad you love our service, can I use you as a testimonial?" Then he could have written off the cost of the router in additional good advertising, sent you an invoice for two call outs and then torn Mr Fix-it off a strip if needed...

However - make customers love you. He impressed you so much you called his boss to say so... that is priceless - the boss loses that at his peril

bill lisleman said...

great customer support is a rare thing so you did the right compliment. Your wing-mirror murders reminds me of a biz trip to England. As a right sided road driver I think I did ok but a colleague gave us an adventure in knocking out wing-mirrors on parked cars as he drove some narrow streets. Sorry if you were parked in England back then.

Shrinky said...

Hi there Choco, thanks for that! Haaaaaa, oh my, isn't it horrible when that happens? I know exactly what you mean - I recently had a fall-out with our local store, which for years I'd been singing the praises of to anyone who would listen - gahhh (shaking my head in regret)..

mrsnesbitt said...

Sounds a good chap to know Mr Fixit! Hell we have enough problems with 2 laptops - heaven knows how we would cope with anymore! Hats off to yoy dear!
Dxx

Shrinky said...

Chantel, my friend, were I to try to follow your example, I fear one bite of MY steaming chocolate banana bread, might leave me a very unpopular woman, indeed. I don't DO bread, it's not for the want of trying, but my bread-baking days were a health and safety hazzard to all..

Shrinky said...

It has it's moments, Bijoux (sheepish grin).

Shrinky said...

I agree with everything you say, Furtheron, and I have a feeling Mr. Fix-it-Man probably does too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up leaving to start up on his own. I would certainly give him my custom!

Shrinky said...

Oh, so that was YOU and your collegue who did that, was it? Game's up, Mister, the bill is in the post (snort)!

Shrinky said...

Tell me about it, Denise (sigh)..

mythopolis said...

Yeh, the bossman wasn't thinking straight. Customers want friendly courteous, prompt and proper service. For Mr. Fix-It to bend over backwards to make you happy is good advertising that can bring more customers in.

It is always gratifying to see people being nice to one another.

Does Becca not drive? I think she should have her own car and do some of this chauffering! : )

Akelamalu said...

What a shame you got Mr Fixit into trouble when all you were trying to do was sing his praises. :0

You're right there are a lot of kind people - I suspect they all live round your way. ;)

Shrinky said...

Hi there Dan, yeah, you got that right. As for Bec, you have to be 17 to pass the UK driving test - her birthday is in May, and she's already taking two weekly lessons (at £20 a freakin' lesson!). I can hardly wait for her to drive.

Leslie: said...

I have a feeling that your young Mr Fix It will get his own business up and running some day. Then he can ppphhhllleettt his old boss.

roaringforties said...

Heck, there is so much to do this week since google has gone all Orwellian on us that the kids wouldn't have been doing much of anything else.
I do think that the kids will do more by voting with their feet than the entire force of the EU could ever do.

Ms. A said...

Quite the interesting life you lead. I wouldn't be able to handle it, you do much better AND it makes for great posts!

Shrinky said...

I sure hope so, Leslie, this guy deserves a break!

Shrinky said...

Ha, Roaringfortie, and who's volunteering to wrestle those laptops from out of their couldn't-care-less, sticky, little mitts, then? Not I!

Shrinky said...

Theory is, Ms. A, with every child birthed, millions of brain cells die by the labour - with the fourth one around, I'm near brain-dead - it makes for a great coping mechanism (wink)..

mythopolis said...

Bec is just turning 17?! Father forgive me for I have sinned in my mind! (Just kidding...I think she - like you - is adorable and wish her all the best!)

Fenstar de Luxe said...

bwahahahah it's held on by wires, oh bless you!

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

oh man...no good deed ..and all that..

The Future Was Yesterday said...

No offense intended - but PLEASE stay over there:P

tattytiara said...

I admire you. And myself. You know how rare it is for people to admit they're anything less than awesome drivers? I'm definitely less than awesome too. We've got moral fortitude, you and me, that's what we've got. Definitely compensates for all the property we damage.

#1Nana said...

This was a good chuckle. Lately I've been running into the garage wall when I park the car. I swore that I didn't hit the wall, but there's a rectangular hole in the wall and my license plate is impressed in the sheetrock. The spouse seems to think that's pretty good evidence that I'm guilty!

Shrinky said...

Haha, oh Dan, Bec, like most of her friends, has looked a full grown woman since the age of age 12 - it's enough to give any mother grey hairs! Thankfully, she's been dating someone for over a year now, one whom she's known for over 10yrs - and I LIKE HIM! I even like his parents, too. He's gonna' be a hard act to follow when she goes off to Uni..

Shrinky said...

Hi there Fen, well, you always have to be thankful for these small mercies, eh? (Wink)

Shrinky said...

So true, Jac.. (sigh)

Shrinky said...

Aw Dan, you've gone and hurt my feelings (though I have to confess, driving on the wrong side of the road is a wee bit heart-stopping for me..)!

Shrinky said...

Y'know Tatty, I've never been able to understand these folk with driving ego's as big as their cars. S'not our fault if we're spacially challenged, is it?

Shrinky said...

Haaaaaaaaaaa, oh Nana, I think you've been busted, hon (sorry). Too, too funny.

steven may said...

Great post ! thanks for that

Shrinky said...

Thanks for stopping by, Steven.

Anthony said...

That was a great post.

Grayquill said...

You are a driver after my own heart....I don't think you ever had the privialage of reading about my 18 now 20 car accidents (two in one night).
But we are still alive and kicking...it's just that our cars look a wee bit tarnished. HOH HUM

Shrinky said...

Thank you, Anthony.

Shrinky said...

Ha! GQ, I have a fresh respect for you, for fessing up to that - very few men I know EVER admit to being anything less than a super competent driver (despite any evidence to the contrary)..

Secret Agent Woman said...

That's a shame that the guy's boss didn't appreciate his helpfulness. But glad he got everything fixed up for you!

Joanna Jenkins said...

I know what it's like to forget what day it is and where to pick people up. If I don't check my calendar each morning and make myself a note there's not telling what I'll miss.

Sounds like you live in a nice place. The kindness of strangers can never be underestimated.

xo jj

Grayquill said...

Excuse meeeee...I am not admitting anything. In fact contraire… I am a superb driver. I can see you might have come to a faulty conclusion in regards to my driving but that would be totally wrong. The number of accidents one is in has almost no bearing on ones driving ability and skill set. Just thought you should know.

Skunkfeathers said...

You meant well ;-) And who needs side mirrors, anyway? I never use mine...

The Kid In The Front Row said...

Your writing is so vivid, love it!

Pat Tillett said...

Unfortunate things happen to all of us from time to time. The way others react to them is often what decides how we personally feel about it. It's nice to run into (figuratively) who is a decent person and understands that we didn't dent their auto on purpose! I've never hit another car myself, though I have hit objects for some reason.

Dave said...

My goodness Carol, isn't your life full of adventure! - Dave

Shrinky said...

Hi Secret Agent, yeah, the boy did well (smile).

Shrinky said...

Hi JJ, thanks hon, it's truly comforting to hear I am not alone in this!

Shrinky said...

Haaaaaaaaaaa - oopsie! Sorry, GQ, I now stand corrected, OF COURSE the amount of car prang's you are involved with, has NOTHING AT ALL to do with your capabilities as a driver - er, I am sure you are an excellent motorist (fingers crossed behind my back)..

Lori G said...

Everytime I come here my cheeks hurt from smiling! You're a Gem my dear. Thank you and "keep on keepin on"!

Shrinky said...

Hello Lori, my friend, it's so lovely to see you back in here again! Aww, thanks for those kind words, it's made my day.

Bone said...

They really shouldn't put so many obstacles in your way! :)

This was a hilarious read.

MarkD60 said...

Now don't go and tell the girl-whose-car-you-hits brother he's fixing it for free.
That doesn't make sense.
The girl whose car you hit, don't tell her brothers boss that he's fixing it for free.
Nope
Do not tell the boss of the brother of the girl whose car you hit that he's fixing it for free.
I give up.

Middle Child said...

There are some amazing strangers out there and some shits as well - I have met both since I moved to suburbia -(How do I cope with that???) Suburbia I mean -

Shrinky said...

Hi there Bone, good to see you again, my friend! Thanks for the encouragement (though most say that'll only make me worse..)

Shrinky said...

Mark, I'm Fed-Ex-ing a kilo of the strongest coffee I can find over - help is at hand!

Shrinky said...

I think the REAL question here Theresa, is how is suburbia coping with YOU? (Wink)

Hilary said...

I could see you on stage doing this as a standup routine. Funny, clever you.