Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Shrinky's Douglas


Firstly, may I  welcome you aboard to my the all-inclusive Shrinky Tour, and thank you for your gullibility discerning taste in choosing to book with "us" again.  Please note, all fees are strictly mine now  non-returnable, and any whining complaints to the Manx Tourist Board shall be given my undivided follow-thorough, via a personal visit to your loved ones our full consideration.

I am in receipt of all the signed disclaimers, yes?  Great.  Hang on, who's Mickey Mouse??   You at the back, yeah, near the table, Choco, will you please, kindly pass Chewy along a fresh form from there, to re-complete..?  Thank you.

Okay, so a little background to orientate you to this place from tip to tail.  The entire isle is approx. 35 miles long, and 15 miles wide - effectively, that means the farthest drive away you can ever be from the coast, is around 10 minutes.

Put simply Al, car theft is rendered redundant here, we just wait by the ferry to catch you.  

The cross on the map is Douglas, where I live, the red dot on the map is Kirk Michael, where my lil' sis', Lainee, and her family lives.  

Huh?  Well, of course it's relevant, RC.  The clue is in the tour name.

(Stony stare.)

Our island is a tax haven, a bit like the Cayman Islands, but without the sun.  Being self-governing, we can get away with this, elect our own parliament to set the laws and levy taxes.  We even have our own separate flag from the Union Jack, as well as our own Manx currency, (which is a right pain in the bum, since it needs to be exchanged over to British sterling, before taking any trip over to the UK mainland, and likewise to Euros, for any jaunts over to Ireland) but don't let that trouble you, as I'll gladly accept everything from the Euro right through to the Yen, okay? 

No, sorry Dan, it's still a no to those slot-machine tokens. 

The overall population here is circa 75,000, and Douglas is the Isle of Man capital, with by far the highest population at over 25,000.  Douglas may be not the prettiest part of the island, but it is the island hub for shipping, transport, shopping, and entertainment (did you notice how I convincingly managed to keep a straight face in saying that last bit?).   It is also the home of the government, and a main finance sector.  Banks from all over the world hold offices here. 

Sorry?  Yes Skunk, 'fraid I'm pretty sure the banks do have adequate security systems in place, it's not like we're that backward, y'know?

Right, that's the boring bits over, let's move on. 
        
If any of you (Bone) should find yourselves ditched for some reason parted from the group, please make your way back to this gathering point at the top of my drive, and wait for Jake to come find you.  Under no circumstances whatsoever stray down the drive (hubby thinks I'm at the gym). 

Those of you who took the last week, "Shrinky Residence Tour" may be surprised to find I'm not actually situated in the rural back of beyond, after all.  In fact, I live only a few minutes drive from the centre of town.

Before we venture out there, if we take this left, and continue straight on up, one mile along lies the famed TT Grandstand, and the start line for the super bikes, those which relentlessly whizz  past our drive on race days, effectively holding me and mine hostage for the duration.


This also happens to be Sweet Sam's most favourite place in the whole wide world.   

"The Paddock" lies directly behind the Grandstand, where Sam and I chase down autographs, to add to his burgeoning collection.  As his officially appointed photographer, I wear the eternal shame proud reputation of being viewed as the oldest paparazzi biker-groupie in town. 
No biking Royalty is safe, here he is ambushing Michael Dunlop (again). 




But I'm getting distracted here, and giving too much away - this diversion really belongs on the, "Shrinky TT Tour" (tickets for which can be purchased in advance at a very reasonable price, on any week day hubby is out of town).

Do keep your eyes peeled for any cats on our travels, we're quite famous for our tail-less pussies.  It's thought it was originally a genetic defect which overtook most of the island's population, throughout generations of inbreeding. Um, yes, there is a part of this isle (rumour has it) where certain human defects have also similarly been passed on.. but, er, probably best to leave that one for another tour - we'll be having no careless talk of this in Douglas.



So, if we retrace our steps, taking a right will head us towards the town.



The Railway station sits in front of my Tesco Supermarket (well, not mine as such, though I wish it were, no, I simply get my on-line grocery weekly shop delivered to me, from there).  When the weather is rough and the ferries can't get through from the mainland, the shelves there are often bare.  Most of us tend to lay in a good store cupboard, 'cos in truth, you just never know in this place when you might have to hole up and make do for a bit.

Our railway was the inspiration for all the Thomas the Tank Engine stories, and the author, Reverend W Awdry, set each tale in the mythical "Isle of Sodor" which everyone knows is just a euphemism for us - well, we even have our own Bishop of Sodor, don't we, what more proof do you need?




We've never seen the need to update our rolling stock, and this is the only mode of train to be found on our island.



It doesn't just serve the tourists, as the line runs throughout the island, and is a regular service from A-B, over the summer months.


This station exits on to the North Quayside, and to the odd pub and restaurant.  Coaster's is where Matt, my eldest, held his first ever (crappy, minimum wage) job, bless him, washing up endless giant pots and pans, after school.  It was handy for him, being within walking distance from home.

And it paid his rent.

Ack, blow your nose, Babs, I'm only kidding (it went towards his school fees).

The restaurant faces directly over the marina, and on to the South Quayside.  Actually folks, this is probably as good a place as any to stop now, for that all-inclusive meal of ours.

What, where for the love of sweet Jesus, do you shower of feckless moron's think you're stampeding off to?  Get your assorted arses back over here, right this minute.  No, I didn't mean Coasters - why on earth would anyone be wanting to closet themselves indoors for lunch, when there's perfectly good tin-foil wrapped, chilled bacon sandwiches to be had, right out here in the fine, fresh air?  Look, I've even made you up some nice fruit squash, to help swill it down with.

Oh, there's always ONE vegetarian, isn't there?  Yeah, yeah, Veggie-Assassin - no worries, look, see?  There's still a bit of lettuce left, once you remove the bacon, alright?   Yeah, and bon appetite to you, too.  Any more of that kind of language, and you'll find yourself fast marching back to that aforementioned meeting point, me lass.. 

Whoops, yeah, sorry about the gulls, they've no manners at all, have they?  Best for you that's got hoods, to maybe wear them up for now?  And I'd advise us all to eat discreetly, shielded beneath the safety of our coats, these thieving banshees are known to get vicious.

Cheer up, Secret Agent, I've brought the bandaid's.

Ah, isn't this grand?  There's nothing can beat a good picnic. 


This is where Sam and his friends sometimes crew a sailing boat, provided and supervised by "Sailing for the Disabled", a brilliant charity in aid of kids and young adults, with physical or learning difficulties.   

True, X-Dell, it is in for repair a lot.. 


Follow the road around the South quay, and it'll lead you on up to Douglas Head, one of the highest points in the town, which provides sweeping views over Douglas.  


If you continue on, the road winds upwards and along to the lighthouse.  I occasionally used to take Jake up here for a run, but no, not so much recently, Vince, not since he confused himself as a lemming, and tried inventing that shortcut down to the sea.


This is perched just along the way from The Union Camera Obscura.   A single lens and mirror in a revolving turret, above the darkened room there, projects a picture of the surrounding area.   It was first built in 1887, but burned down within the same year, proving that the youth of the island have ever long been a problem around these parts.   It was rebuilt in  the1890's, and for all I know, has had an invisible armed guard round it ever since.

The camera was originally used to spy on tourists at the bathing baths, or at the locals making out on the headland, and provided a popular form of fun and entertainment at the time.  Kinda' proves nothing much changes, doesn't it, Hilary?  Hilary?  (Sigh)  It'll turn you blind, it will.


Retracing back now, we're entering into the town proper, and to where the main shopping centre lies.  Yes, I know you must be quite envious now, you amongst us of the huge Plazza's and Mall's, sure, it's not every day you get to experience wind, hail and sleeting rain the open skies above you, as you are buffeted and battered sauntering from shop to shop.

The nearest we have to a department store, is the over-priced and under-stocked, local branch of Marks & Spencer's (termed, "Markies" by some of us in the know), where we buy our knickers and "Meals for Two" at.  It lies behind from where this shot was taken, but trust me, Bill, you're not missing very much.  They charge you a quid, just to push the trolley round.  


See past the pub on the left? That's the little art supply shop I use to frame and mount my pictures, lovely couple they are there, husband and wife team, both artists.


Perhaps you understand now why I'm such a big fan of this on-line shopping malarkey?

Take any small side street off to the right, and it'll lead you straight down to the prom, and the open seafront. 


The horse-trams run the whole length of the two mile promenade, with frequent drop off and pick up points along the way.  When the kids were younger, we regularly used to ride free on these.  It wasn't until a couple of years back I found out we'd been dodging our fare.  Gospel truth, there'd never ever been anyone there to collect it from us, I swear. 



If you're looking for a scenic, coastal route up to the mountain, the electric tram is the way to go.  It also has several scheduled stations it stops at, and I used to often catch it through to Laxey, before the embroidery supplies shop I used there closed down. 

(Pout.)



The Sefton Hotel on the Prom is where my eldest worked as a barman, on his breaks home from University (until his boss opened a new place in Peel, and took him with him).

This is a sculpture of the comedian, Sir Norman Wisdom, one of our island's more colourful resident's, who sadly died a couple of years back.  He was quite a well known character, everyone knew to jump well out of the way when they saw him peeking up over that bonnet of his Bentley he drove.

When the Queen came over one Tynwald Day, he and my neighbours, amongst some others (very notably not me), were invited to attend a formal dinner with her.  She tells me (not HRH, no, my neighbour) all throughout the meal, she kept having to kick him under the table, in an attempt to stop him from removing his dentures each time the Queen addressed him .  Ever the clown, he was.

We also have George Formby clutching his Uke, leaning against a lamppost, and mutely serenading passers-by, on another of our street corners.



The Sefton statue is only on loan to them from the borough, though it's never actually sat anywhere else.

The hotel gets a lot of trade from The Gaiety Theatre, next door, and Matt served drinks to many of the rich and famous who've passed through there.
   


Which is where I'll be found on Saturday, to see this - wheyhey!




Over the road,, a pedestrian walkway runs the full length of the beach,



Lined with sunken gardens.  Yes Chantel, I'll bet there are some fine cuttings to be had here, when no one is looking.


This spot on the beach is where I used to take Jake for his daily run.




 But since his arthritis, he needs use of a ramp now to make it into the car - and being such a huge brute, it takes a very long, long ramp indeed, to coax his hairy Lordship up a gentle enough incline. 

I need to ensure space for almost the length of three cars to unfold the darn thing, and sadly the Prom isn't one of the best of places to find ample parking there, so I've recently taken to using the glens more now, where I can always guarantee space for the ramp.

Further along the way, is the Tower of Refuge.  At first glance, I thought it was just an ornamental folly, but seems I was mistaken, and it serves a very real purpose.




When the Lifeboat Service was founded in the 1800's, they soon discovered many shipwrecked sailors often drowned, mistakenly believing they could make the swim to shore.  They built this on a reef, and stocked it with blankets, and a supply of fresh bread and water.  I'm told it's briefly accessible from shore, during certain tides and times of the year.

Where the Prom ends is the Ferry Terminal (I'll be parked at the front, Leslie, for you to head over to, when you dock).



Built in the 1960's, it looks as if it could double up as a giant lemon- squeegee-implement, but it seems it's still fit(ish) for purpose, and as there's certainly no money left lying around to replace it (not since the UK government stuffed us over the VAT), I guess we're stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

And this here behind it, is the harbour.


Which I am happy to say is blissfully close to where I live.  It's wonderful to pile off the ferry, and to be warming my toes before my own fireplace, within a few minutes. 

Yeah Furtheron, there is an airport, but it's further on (sorry), in Castletown, and we're only doing DOUGLAS on this trip, remember?  You want Castletown, it costs extra.

So there we have it folks, this is almost a wrap.  Talking of which, kindly take your tin foil wrappers with you as you go, please, or you won't be finding yourselves invited back here in a hurry.

Maybe I WILL cover Castletown at some point, it is a much bonnier spot (it gets prettier the further south or north you get).  I know it well, as my kids attend school there.

Here's a taster.  Gorgeous building to attend lessons in, isn't it?


Okay, next stop we might do the "Castle and Museum Tour", what do say? 

Cheer up, Sully, I'll be sure to throw in a few visits to the odd Pub and Inn along the way - just so long as you promise to buy in an occassional round for the tour guide?

Alright, leave it with me.

71 comments:

chewy said...

FIRST!

chewy said...

Mickey Mouse enjoyed the beautiful sites of the Douglas Tour. Now I know where that framer's gallery is! Looking forward to the Castle and Museum Tour...and the big red wheel and the fairy glen and the graveyard...

Brighid said...

OMG what a beautiful place, thank you for the grand tour. I had to laugh when we got to the store with Tex Mex sign...

bill lisleman said...

Skrinky I'm not much interested in Markies but a guy's throat dries out quickly on these tours so I suggest we see all the interiors of the pubs. In fact the interior of a pint glass can be interesting too. I did a quick wikipedia look while on this virtual tour - what an odd name for a government body - House of Keys. thanks for the tour

Pearl said...

Wow! I had no idea... What a beautiful place.

Pearl

p.s. You used the word "feckless". Love that word. :-)

Leslie: said...

I am chomping at the bit to get there (but I shouldn't rush my time away!) Anticipation can be almost as much fun as the actual fun one has. I sure hope the weather is as great as it appears in all the photos. These tours are getting my heart racing!

Linda Sue said...

Holy shite! That was so thorough that I can now say that I have been there! thanks for saving me the trip!

mythopolis said...

A wonderful tour! But I want to see the girls on the beach playing volleyball in their bikinis! I think this should be one of those special tours you should arrange soon! Also could we do a voyeur tour where we peek in the windows of various unsuspecting residents? OK, sign me up for the next tour whatever it may be!!

Vince said...

Gorgeous photographs.

And I had taken you to be well out of town. Well, well out would be Newry. Ish out of town, then.
And what's going on with M&S. They've gone back to clothing cricket playing blokes in tighty-whities and their twin-set wives. I thought they had gotten rid of that line and went for an edgier ( if you get the reference). I was in the other day looking for a sun-slash-rain hat and all they had was panama ones. In Ireland FFS.
Oh, it's not HRH, but HM. We learnt last year all the differences when she was over for her weekend away. :-D

Maddy said...

There's a certain similarity in atmosphere to a spot we visit in England - must be the steam trains or something - plus all the green! Makes me feel quite homesick.

Skunkfeathers said...

Much more Old World charm at work on your isle, than around h'yar. And I'm sure bank security is as easy as waiting at the ferry ;-)

Ms. A said...

I'm awestruck! Such a beautiful place to live. I can't even imagine it.

PS: A couple of the photos were missing... in case you didn't know.

~Babs said...

Chewy always gets to be first!
(sticking tongue out)

Knocked my sox off with this post, yes'm, you did!
First: I have to say I didn't believe for one minute you'd be charging your son rent. Board,,,maybe. Boys eat by the ton!
SO much to see and learn about your neck of these woods,,thanks for that! And the photos are incredible.
I'd love to be able to fire up the 'ol magic carpet and see if it'd make it to your ferry.You'd pick me up if I only made it to the Tower of Refuge,though, wouldn't you?
LOVED this tour, and I'm packed up and ready for our next stop!
I actually had a Manx cat as a kid, but didn't realize what we had till much later.I thought it had been in a really bad cat fight.

PS: I'm sleeping with MacBride every night now, but shhh, don't tell.

mrsnesbitt said...

7 weeks! Oh and we will bring the sunshine! lol!

Rock Chef said...

Fantastic photos - back to read the text later.

I almost visited Craggy Island many years ago. I used to dress up as a Viking...

Fenstar de Luxe said...

oh I so want to come back, I miss the little isle. I spend a lot of time in Douglas with my rellies, and some in Peel where we had others.

MarkD60 said...

Great tour of your island. Looks like blue water and skies to me too!

Akelamalu said...

That brought back some memories! When I was about 6 years old (1955)we used to holiday at Howstrake Holiday Camp in Douglas. I did a blog post about it here http://akelamalu.blogspot.co.uk/2007/07/oh-happy-days.html

The last time I visited IOM was when I was 14.

Shrinky said...

Ha! So you are, Mickey Mouse! The big red wheel?? I'll have you know that's the Laxey Wheel, that is! (Wink)

Shrinky said...

Oh Brighid (laughing), yup, I'm afraid we even have a MacDonalds at the bottom of the road (shaking my head)..

Shrinky said...

I have a treat in store for you, Bill - the local branch of CAMERA is opening their three day Real Ale Beer Festival, this afternoon, and as hubby has helped to organise the affair, I'm just off to scoot down there, to show my wifely support.. watch this space!

Shrinky said...

Hi there Pearl, ha yup, you sure have an appreciative ear for a fine word (I also seem to recall you're not too shy to use the odd one yourself)!

Shrinky said...

Ah Leslie, the weather can make or break this place, but coming when you are, I think the fates should be with us, fingers x'd. And yes, I always believe half the fun of any enjoyment is the anticipation leading up to it, isn't it?

Shrinky said...

Oooh, maybe it was a tad TOO thorough then, Linda Sue? I have a fellow blogger from America coming over for the first time, this year, hence all the guided tour thing.. but perhaps I might post some other stuff next, to give you all a break!

Shrinky said...

Okay Dan, now you're verging on the creepy side - and worse, I'm finding the challenge quite alluring..

Shrinky said...

HM, Vince? (Slapping myself upside the head) Sheesh, maybe THAT'S why they never invited me along to that sit down do of theirs? Grin.

Oh, don't get me started on Markies, I used to love that place once upon a time, but thesedays I rarely set foot in there - not only that, have you ever tried to navigate your way back out of one of their stores, once you're in? All their exits take you on a three week camel ride to get there, round every rack of merchandise they have. Can't be annoyed with it.

Shrinky said...

Hi there Maddy, aw, you need to pop back home more often, bonny lass! (Grin)

Shrinky said...

You might have a good point there, Skunk (grin)..

Shrinky said...

oh, cheers for that, Ms.A, and no, I hadn't a clue some had gone AWOL, I've just gone back in to resserect them again - why the heck this happens, I have no idea!

Shrinky said...

Hey there Babs, oooh, who told you wrong I could keep a secret? Haaa, I tell ya' that MacBride lad sure puts it around, he was in my own bed only last night - but I guess we ladies can just about forgive him anything, with the consistently great performance he always delivers, eh?

Sure Babs, don't be such a softie, I'm sure the Tower of Refuge supplies water wings for that final part of the journey.. give me a ring when you make it to shore.

Shrinky said...

I'm gonna' hold you to that, Denise!

Shrinky said...

OMG, RC, that's a sight I should love to see - haaaaaaa! maybe you and yours can make it over one Tynwold Day? There are always loads of you Viking guys roaming around the place then. If you do, be sure to give me a visit, okay?

Shrinky said...

Fen, maybe you should treat yourself once your back up and fighting fit again, eh? I sure would love to see you (smile)

Shrinky said...

Hiya Mark, oh our blue skies are much farther and fewer between than the ones you get over there, I am sad to say!

Shrinky said...

Eeee, cheers for that Ake, I'll have fun reading that one (big, wide grin). Now you've retired, do you and your hubby not fancy a return visit at some time? Be sure and let me know, if you do!

Pat Tillett said...

Wow! What a fantastic place you live in! The photos were great and the information was very interesting. We used to have several Manx cats when I was young, but we never knew the origin of the name. Great great post! Loved it...

Chantel said...

I'm in love with the Tower of Refuge! Quite a facinating jaunt, my dear; you are so entertaining, you may find yourself with guests...

*perusing airline tickets*

Anthony Duce said...

The tour was wonderful. Will be adding the island to my list of places to visit when back in GB.

Dave said...

That was great Carol! Thanks for the tour. Now I have a better understanding of the Isle of Man. I used to voice-chat with a guy who owned a pub in Douglas, and brewed his own beer, but I can't remember his name now. He and his wife used to like visiting India a lot. Perhaps you may have known him - Dave

Shrinky said...

Hiya Pat, how funny to think of Manx cats in America - grin!

Shrinky said...

Oooh Chantel, you are such a tease..! Ahhh, but wouldn't that be something, eh?

Shrinky said...

Oh my goodness, really Anthony? Then please do promise you'll let me know when you come? I should love to meet up for a drink, perhaps?

Shrinky said...

Wow Dave, it's a small world indeed, isn't it? I don't know, perhaps we may have met (most folk here tend to do so, at some time or another). By coincidence, I attended the opening of the Manx branch of The Real Ale Festival, yesterday - it was by invitation only, and filled with brewers, CAMERA members and pub owners - could be we were under the same roof together only last night!

sage said...

Such a beautiful spot. I always thought Thomas the Tank Engine had something to do with Scotland, but you're not far from there). I sailed by there last summer, from Dublin to the Faroe Islands and eventually NYC

chewy said...

That Camera Obscura is way cool. I don't recall knowing of that IOM attraction.

Barbara said...

Shrinky, I loved this! Virtual travel is all I can afford - thanks for showing us around. What an wonderful place to live... I can't wait for the next tour!

Vince said...

A rather exquisite degree of cruelty putting a residential school IN the grounds of an airport.

nansplan said...

Oh Shrinky, I just love your little village. I believe if I ever win the lottery, I am picking up brother Dan and making the journey over the pond to see this in person!!!! Thanks so much for taking us on this tour...where are we off to next??

Shrinky said...

Wow, Sage, hade I known you were so close, I would have baked some scones and stuck the kettle on, had you let me know! ach, these scots - being one of them, take it from me, they claim everything for their own, so's they do, and No, our Thomas is definitely not one of their own, okay?

Shrinky said...

Oh Barbara, with such a positive client such as you, I'm very tempted to offer out a substantial discount on the very next booking you care to join us on (provided you care to sign your name to the endorsement of all our future tours?)..

Shrinky said...

In all honesty, Chewy, t'was the kids who gave me a boot insofsr as that place is concerned, never having been there, meself (wink).

Shrinky said...

Haaaaaaaaaaa, oh Vince, you have totally cracked me up, here - what a brilliantly true and hysterical observation - do you know, in over the ten years of subscribing to this establishment, I've never once had that occur to me? Um, that said, I feel the need to state loud and clear my own brood are not of the boarding kind.. not that I haven't often been sorely tempted, that is, no, sadly, I just can't afford the extra fee on top there, y'know?

Shrinky said...

Hello there, dearest Nansplan, I am so tickled to see you back in here again (see this wide, cheesy grin you've gone and plastered all across my face again?)!

Let's make a deal,if EITHER of us win the lottery, you, dan and I shall all spend a gloroius week together at EACH end of the pond, happily swapping tales and getting caught up with each other, just as real friends are apt to do?

Al Penwasser said...

What a beautiful island you have there. And thanks for clearing up any confusion about the Isle of Man having women, too.
Whew!
Cause, without them, there'd be a lot of nervous sheep.

Brian Miller said...

wow i would love to visit some time...thanks for the tour...a pleathora of pics but i def enjoyed the visit...

Shrinky said...

Hate to say it, Al, but most of the sheep are in therapy over here..

Shrinky said...

Hi there Brian - hmn, you should be glad I cut them down (teehee), I started out with twice of what's been posted!

Green Monkey said...

wow...that was a treat! I'm new here, noticed you were at my site as well. so intrigued by the tailless kitties and your sheep comment made me spit out my morning mimosa.

it was worth it. Cheers~

Shrinky said...

Hey Green Monkey, thanks for joining the tour, and I sure hope to see you back in here again soon (you've seen all the rabble visiting here these-days, t'would be nice to have a wee bit of class in the form of a proper "lady" dropping by, just once in a while).. wink

TexWisGirl said...

i'm not sure i've ever seen anyone load a post like you can! whew!

Shrinky said...

Sorry TexWisGirl, I don't do refunds.

Rock Chef said...

If I ever make it over, I promise I will NOT be dressed as a Viking, but I will be sure to let you know I am there!

Suldog said...

I'd buy you a round every day, Shrinky, if I could live there. It is absolutely beautiful. I have a serious spot in my heart for Manx cats, too, and I, for one, love a good bacon sandwich. Really, I could go on (which I usually do) but there's just too much to comment on here. I could hardly begin to think of a place it seems I would rather live.

(Of course, I've never been there, and you live there, and living someplace and visiting someplace are two altogether different animals, but I can't find a single thing I didn't love at first sight in everything you showed us. I mean that, most sincerely.

(I wonder if I have ancestral blood from there or something? Your photos truly made my heart yearn for it.)

Hilary said...

You give the absolute best personal tours. Beautiful spots.. wonderfully presented. Now, it would appear that I have photos to upload. ;)

Shrinky said...

Oh RC, don't be such a party-pooper, I love a man in horns..!

Shrinky said...

Jim, this has really touched me, and I have a strong feeling the Manx folk over here would truly welcome that open heart of yours to this isle. In light of your history, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find you eventually rising to First Minister (equivalent to the UK Prime Minister) - actually, I think someone like you would do this place a power of good!

Shrinky said...

Aw Hilary, you sure know how to curl up a girlies toes in delight, you do! What a gorgeous thing to say - thank you for that!

Rose from Oz is Back! said...

What a wonderful blog you have, and this post in particular I have so enjoyed. A truly grand glimpse into your part of the world and its just beautiful. PS. love your humour and writing style!! :)) I didn't have a lot of time this morning, but I look forward to returning and reading some more posts.

Shrinky said...

Hey there Rose, I am so glad to be making your acquaintance, thanks for joining in on the tour (grin). Sadly, feckin' blogger has only gone and deleted the previous "Shrinky Residence" post I had up - grrrrrrr, so I have no idea if you made it in there, too. (Kicking the puter screen, hard)

Bone said...

I see my reputation precedes me.

Maybe I could be a lighthouse guard/operator. They wouldn't hire me at Coasters. My eight weeks of vacation demands was apparently not to their liking.

I was thinking of something else to say but then I got distracted because ooo, GOLF! Yeah, just drop me off here, and I'll, uh, find my way back.

Choco said...

Ahhh... I have missed so many of your posts... The kittehz pics drew me to this one and I see me name mentioned! :)

Gorgeous pictures Shrinky! I could not believe the school! I loved the tour. Very much.