Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Happy Days


There's a couple of firsts for me this Mother's Day.  

I received this card through the post (usually it would be delivered in person).   It did make me laugh, though, considering he's 22 this year!   Aww, but I guess he'll always be my little pirate, regardless of whatever age he reaches.. and although Matt can't join us today he'll be home soon enough over Easter, when he returns on his break from Uni.

Sweet Sam has totally made my day today, because for the first time ever he's actually chosen and bought his own gift for me this year.  He helps out at a charity shop for a couple of hours during the week, and he's not only selected something from there, he's even paid for it with his own money - two beautiful matching picture frames, that are very, very special in every way.  We usually have a family photograph taken on Mother's Day, but this year I'm deferring it 'til Easter, when all the family are together - and when we are, I now have the perfect frame to set it in.

The girls have also done me proud, just look at these yummy cakes Abby has gifted me..!   Beccy is working as I type (she has a part-time job at WH SMITH), I have no idea if she has bought me anything, but suspect it may involve stationery if she has (silly not use that staff discount of hers, eh?).

Despite my protests that I am NOT hubby's mummy, nor ever will I be, hubby still managed to see it in his heart to deliver a  truly inspired gift upon his own behalf.  I had no idea Stuart MacBride has a new book out - ooooooh, what a treat!  I'm just so thrilled at the prospect of opening a new novel of his - whoohoo! 

And as for the hound from hell who ate my address book last week, well, even he's come through, by somehow miraculously managing to replace it with a brand new one (even if it is still minus all the numbers I've lost down his gullet).

Tonight the family and I are treating ourselves to a meal out at our favorite restaurant - what better way to celebrate the end of a wonderful day?  We'll be sure to raise a glass to our "absent friend", Matt.

All in all, life is good in the world of Shrinky.  My building blues are also resolved - the contractor is back on site, and coming through with the original plan - rebuilding to the spec I want, and at no extra cost.  I honestly couldn't be happier with the way things are going now, and am very excited to see the finished result.

As for the SKY saga, the third engineer's visit in as many weeks not only appears to have fixed the problem, he has also - bless his heart,  re-tuned every telly throughout the house for me, so they now have both boxes broadcasting in splendid HD (finger's crossed)!

Although my sewing machine is still not back yet, I'm assured the fault is covered under it's recent service warranty, and this also includes the spare new part they've needed to order - how good is that? 

AND MY FURNITURE HAS FINALLY ARRIVED - albeit some damaged in transit.  Being as how it all came wrapped in packaging it took three hours to break into, I signed for it unseen.  The darling guy who sent it accepted the photo's I've emailed vouching I speak true, and is open to discussing compensation.  People are on the whole good, aren't they?  

(I now have me some cakes to scoff, so please excuse me whilst I exit, hugging myself..)



Oh um, yeah - the diet's delayed 'til Monday.

26 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Love your positive, happy post, Shrinky! And your gifts are so heartfelt they touch everyone's heart. Have a great Mother's Day.

Tabor said...

Life is good and glad that you see this!

mythopolis said...

Happy Mother's Day from afar! You're a wonderful gal and I am glad to see how your family appreciates and loves you!

Joanne Noragon said...

What a nice day at you command. Except the addresses, of course. May you enjoy finding them all again and laughing at your "dog ate my addresses" story in the process.

Akelamalu said...

YAY, sounds like things are looking up in the Shrinky household. :)

roaring40 said...

Why are you carrying a shark/whale/cod.
Best of luck and congrats.

Leslie: said...

Happy Mother's Day! Sounds like it will be a wonderful day for everyone. Are you going to the place you took Cathy & me for dinner? That was a great place! Glad to hear everything else has sorted itself out and can hardly wait to see photos of your new furniture. HugsXXX

wishihadakarmaanghia said...

Haha - giggling at roaring40's comment - was just thinking the same thing! Happy Mother's Day to you, lovely lady. Well deserved. We also managed a meal out (which hasn't happened in a loooong time but Jude actually enjoyed it too!) xxxxx

Grayquill said...

I'm not sure how long you have been back but it's great to see a post from you. You certainly do have a lot going on. I am sorry you have such a hateful dog. That's pretty low eating you address book. What happened to Bowsers that munch on slippers?

Mamma has spoken said...

Oh it's great to read that all things are right in the world for you. Time has a way of doing that. Happy Mother's Day to you. Here in the USA we don't celebrate it until May. Found it interesting that we don't celebrate it at the same time.

Shelly said...

What a fun, warm soaked, love filled post. Your kids and hubby have done well, and it's even more pleasing to know it comes straight from their sweet hearts!

Happy Mother's Day to you, friend~ enjoy every minute!

Hilary said...

Aww Happy Mother's Day, Shrinky. :) (ours will be in May). It sounds like you had a perfectly lovely day and that things are looking up from here. May it always be so.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Your Mother's Day happens in March? Well, glad you had such a lovely one!

bill lisleman said...

as others have pointed out and probably do every year the US mother's day is May 12. You could book a flight now and have two this year. The cards and gifts are always special. Happy Mother's Day

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Pleased you had such a tremendous and happy Mothers Day!!
Everything has turned around too and working out just swell. This is all great news!
Your happiness with the world and your gorgeous poeple in it was jumping outta the computer screen!
x

Bijoux said...

Wonderful, wonderful day! The cakes look scrumptious!

MarkD60 said...

WHen is Mothers day? I think I'm in trouble!
Nice card!

Margaret Benbow said...

I want your cakes, dearest Shrinky, but apart from that wish you the happiest of sun-soaked, rum-soaked, spring flowering days and nights. Also, if the contractor is now on site--I don't know if you're the kind of bracing boss who gives a contractor a boot on the bum if he drops the ball, or the peaceable type who provides ginger cookies and sweet lemonade no matter how the bugger screws up . But Shrinky, enjoy the project, because you're seeing your dreams come true.

White Elephant said...

So pleased everything seems to be turning out right for you at last.Your mother's day pressie's were fab.Love the pirate card, we still like them to stay little in our hearts don't we? Sweet Sam's first personally chosen and paid for mother's day present brought a lump to my throat.He must be so pleased with himself at how much you liked it.

Rock Chef said...

Well that is a big shift in the right direction. Love that Sam bought you a pressent too.
We had a nice first here too - Mrs RC allowed herself to be pampered all day! It was great! Hope it continues!

sage said...

You're not my mom either, but a belated Happy Mother's Day. You have it earlier there than here, when it is the 2nd Sunday in May.

foam said...

Happy belated moms day! Ours is in may. Sounds like everything is going as it should!

Bone said...

So that old excuse "the dog ate my homework" may have really happened?

Happy Mother's Day, Shrinky!

Maddy said...

Delightful all round, although you should try buying a Mother's Day card out here in March - impossible [so I made my own] Mother's Day in the US is always the second Sunday in May. If I could get myself organized I'd insist on us celebrating them both, now that would be really clever.

Vince said...

Ha, I was thinking about my Swallows and Swifts coming to nest in my shed this morning. And then, on the BBC I was watching the IoM was under a blanket of white shit. How are things going. Tesco keeping you in victuals I hope.
I climbed the nearby mountain and with the binoculars could see the Mtns north covered.
It's colder in March than it was in Jan

Middle Child said...

Its not Mother's day here till May - been away a bit but so glad to read your wonderfully happy and descriptive post