Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

What Next?

fishtank Gahhhhh – this morning got off to a damp start!  I woke to find puddles of fish water flooding the kitchen, one of our tanks has sprung a leak.  And it would have to be the bloody tropical one, wouldn’t it?

I can’t get a replacement until the morrow, since, due to the TT motorbike races, my road is sealed off for the day (besides, most local business remain closed for the duration).  I’ve patched it up with gaffer tape, and wrapped sponge cloths around the base, but it’s leaking like a sieve.. the water level needs topping up every half hour.  Not sure if the fish will survive, I definitely sense a mass funeral coming on..

Oh, that’s not my fish-tank up there, no, though it’s certainly not for the want of trying – I have taken a photo of it, but (for the first time ever) my trusty, loyal camera is refusing to talk to the computer today, and is refusing to upload anything.  WTF??   Now I am getting seriously worried.. 

Guess everything really does come in threes.  Yesterday, two hours into “cooking” our Sunday roast, I discover our fan oven has been blasting nothing but cold air around the chicken.. sheesh!  I transferred it to the main oven, but only minutes in there, acrid, black smoke started to belch out of it, setting off all the fire alarms.  Turns out, some anonymous, clever soul has cooked the plastic handle of the fish-slice in there, which has melted and glued to the bottom of the floor.  It’ll take the best part of a day to get that thing right.  I gave up in the end, just steamed and grilled our so-called “roast” (what a tasteless lump of meat that turned out to be).

Hmph.

At least Matt flew safely off the island, yesterday.  He and his mates have gone away on a jolly to Spain, now that all their exams are through.  I’m pretending they are all going to be sensible and wholesome, yes, ignorance is definitely bliss until I see him home again (fingers in ears, singing, “Lalalalalala”).
     
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
(I have five inch killer stiletto’s on here, yet still the lad tower’s above me.)

He attended his last school function on Saturday, accompanying us parents to his May Ball.  Admittedly, could he have gotten out of it, he probably would have, but it’s tradition, and there was no way I was about to let him off the hook, so there! 

“Ma, stop pawing me!”

“Quit whining and smile, remember who’s paying for this!”

(‘Sides, he’s already had his own leaving Prom, this May Ball is for US, we, the long-suffering parents, ‘tis only but fair..)

Ahhhhh, and didn’t they brush up well?
Matt 2010
‘Course, it was sod’s law this bash had to coincide with the first evening of road closures for the TT.  Being as how my drive was sealed off for the duration, we’d had to trudge through the muddy back route to get here, down the slippery, wet glen, climbing the odd style and gate, and jumping some seriously perilous stepping stones, in order to cross the swollen river – hmph, I’d like to see you try doing that, wearing a pair of over-sized Wellies under your Ball Gown!!

Still, it was worth it (smile).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It’s been quite an eventful week, what with one thing and another.  Youngest met me at the door on Thursday;

“Mum, a whole squad of bikers just come down looking for you!”

(Trying hard not to look too eager and excited) “Really, who?”

“Dunno’, never seen them before, but I gave them your phone number, and they’re gonna’ ring.  They have really, really cool bikes!”

WTF??  “How many of them were there?”

“Um, five, six??  One was a lady, Tiff?  Her bike was HUGE!”

Ahhh -  The Replacement Crew!

Oh, how wonderful of them to look me up again (hugging myself, with a wider grin plastered all over my face than the widest grin imaginable, even at a widest grin world convention, of all the finest, widest face grinner’s on the surface of the planet).   WOO-HOO, WELL, LOOKIE HERE, THEY’RE BAAAAAAACK!!

They later came to watch the races with me for the day, and a fine time was had by all.  My drive is a prime spot to watch all the wheelies speed by, even if it does mean being locked in with me (grin).  They arrived at 10am, and couldn’t escape until after 8.30pm – but being exceeding well trained, they always turf up with all their own food and beverages in tow.

tt swing
The swing-set found another lease of life in-between the races.   We even also found time for a little potter around down by the river.

save me!
It was a great day, and I look forward to seeing them again, before their return to England.

As it happens, I’m also due to meet up (for the first ever time) with a fellow blogger and her husband on Thursday. This will be the third year on the trot that they have made the pilgrimage over from the UK, to catch the races.  Sure hope my oven gets fixed before-hand - I’ve (cringe) invited them over for lunch!

To see how close we are to the action, take a look at these, I took them all from the top of our drive, and without the benefit of using any zoom lens.    


 
Yeah, okay, he wasn’t exactly racing by at the time..
 

 
But these were!
 

 
The side-car racers are bonkers, the team-riders are forever falling off.  Hubby volunteers as a Marshall most years, and he’s seen some terrible sights (shudder).
 
Ah well, sorry luvvies, I can’t stay on here gassing all the day long – I have me some fish needing tending, then an oven to scrape down (Some folk have all the luck, eh?).

Hope to catch up with you all again soon! xx

29 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Water? Hah, this morning I had doggy diarrhoea going from the kitchen, down the hall, through the living room to the back door!

Youngsters in Spain? What can they possibly be doing wrong?

TechnoBabe said...

You have had such a busy time lately. Every time you post you have such interesting and different events to report on, I like it. I hope the fish survive until you can get the replacement tank! Very nice pictures of mother and son. You look great, Shrinky!!!

Chantel said...

Smashing pics love, and I'm freaky jealous over the bikes!

Bacon wrapped fishies with veges on the grill? (ew...sorry)

Akelamalu said...

Things definitely go wrong in 3's! Hope the fish survive until you can get a replacement tank and good luck with the oven.

Fabulous photos, your son is a handsome guy, obviously inhereted your genes. ;)

You sure have a prime viewing position for the races. Your guests look like a great bunch. :)

The Blue Zoo said...

Love the pictures! You look fabuous!!

Hope the fishies lived. And thats awesome about the Spain trip! I wish I could travel more.

Tahereh said...

how cool!! the photos are awesome -- and you look lovely! :D

hehe i hope your son has a good time in spain -- they certainly love their drinksy!

Danyelle said...

Beautiful pictures! I hope the fish survive. :) *hugs and cookies*

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

good luck with the fishies..and what wonderful pictures..a good time had by all...good times.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about the fish...hope it all works out...and the oven thingie? Awful...But...the bikers are back?????? HOORAY!!!!!! Such fun!!! And the pics of you and your son are fabulous...such a handsome fellow and his gorgeous mum!! And the photo of all the guys? Priceless...loved it. Good luck with everything...you'll be in my thoughts! Love you, Janine XO

~Babs said...

I've ALWAYS said:
If the oven needs cleaning, it's time to move!

Hope the fish made it safely,,,and your son too, ha.
You do look great Shrinky.
(mumbles, it aint fair,,,it ain't fair)

secret agent woman said...

Maybe things go wrong in threes, but have you ever noticed the next set of three just starts immediately after the previous set. That's my observation anyway - it's always something.

Leslie: said...

Just caught up with your last two posts! Son is looking wonderfully grown up - hope he behaves just a wee it in good old Espana. Sounds like you're just partying on...lol

SJ said...

I keep forgetting you are friends with biker gangs and have tropical sharks as pets. I better watch my words over here.

Alex L said...

He's a handsome lad I'm sure he'll be having loads of fun with all the gi... no, ignorance is bliss isn't it, thats what you said, I won't ruin that for you.

I saw the fishtank and immediatley had a monty python flashback... So you going to strap on some leathers and go for a ride? God that always sounds dirtier than I intend it to.

chewy said...

The Replacement Crew is back. Woo-Hoo! Life certainly has been busy for you as of late. Aah, meeting up with a fellow blogger should be fun. One more thing... you look fantastic!

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Beautiful pictures and gorgeous faces!

The Urban Cowboy said...

Holy cow you've been busy! I got tired just reading your post. Hopefully the fish tank will get fixed soon, that has got to be rough.

Pretty cool pictures, looks like a great time.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Love you so very, very much! Thank you...you can't imagine how much your thoughtfulness means to me.

On a lighter note, thank heavens for online shopping!! :-) And for kindred spirits! :-) Love you, Janine XO

Eternally Distracted said...

You are busy... I couldn't help reading that all the way through and stopping every second or two to think... the fishtanks leaking!!

Sunshine said...

wow love the photographs Shrinks! amazing job done. You luk awesome in one of my fav pic which is ballroom May 2010! God bless
Love
Sabi Sunshine

Joanna Jenkins said...

There is no way I'd have gotten on that board over the water! It's looks cold :-)

Sorry you had a "fish story" to tell. At least you were about to patch it up so they "didn't get away".

You and Matt look absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Thanks for sharing your latest news and the great pics.

Cheers,
jj

Apologist In Chief said...

So, the fish went on such a bender, they blew the seam in their tank? Too much MGD. Daft fish ;)

Hope the rest of the week's going a danged sight more splendiferous ;-)

Lee said...

Love those pictures, second, you need to go back to bed!! LOL

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Have a wonderful weekend, dear Shrinky! Love, Janine XO

Anna said...

Yeah I am still here Shrinky, lol, reading your stories - can I be your neighbor, I promise I will not ask my husband to park the car on your drive way, lol. The good stores are always remembered. Have a good night, or day probably in your part of the world. Hope all is well otherwise. Anna :)

Sniffles and Smiles said...

You made my weekend, dearest Shrinky! Love you so much! Janine XO

jinksy said...

Hmmm...I often feel like a fish out of water myself, when Blogger throws a wobbly I can't overcome... I'll keep my fingers crossed for your shoal...

Pat Tillett said...

Wow! I'm breathing hard just reading it all. A great post!
Nice photos and great narratives!
best of both worlds...

San said...

Despite the mechanical troubles--yes, they do come in threes--why IS that?--your life looks good, Shrinky. So do you, in those pictures with your handsome son.