Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

What a Royal To-Do


It's been fun and games on the Isle this week. This fluffy li'l kitten is our endorsed mascot for the Youth Commonwealth Games (speaks volumes about us, don't ya' think?)

We're currently hosting the tournament over here, and out of sixty-five countries, there are only two absent.  Zimbabwe's President, Robert Mugabe declined, on account of us not talking to him right now, (ha, yeah, like as if we were about to invite him over, anyways, huh?  We've plenty enough on our plate as it is thanks, what with that Gadaffi bloke and his recent shenanigans) and it seems that Fiji is also kinda' indisposed, due to them having suffered a rather questionable coup over there recently (yup, t'was news to me, too).

Naturally, this sporting event is a huge big deal for us, why, with a population of less than 75,000 - I mean, it's sorta' like our equivalent to England hosting the 2012 Olympic Games, and it's exciting, y'know?  Well, so I'm told.  That's if you're into all these athletics and sports and such-like, which in truth, I'm not. 

Well, not really.   

(Unless Yoga counts?)

But Mr. Shrinky is well made up about it.  A few months back the call went up for volunteers, and Mr. Shrinky, being of a more altruistic nature (and far sportier) than I, was first in line to sign up and book himself a week out from his day job.  'Course he had no idea what the required tasks might be, anything from manning the ticket gates, to looking after visiting teams, who knew?. 

In due course he was called in for an interview.  A week later someone phoned to ask if he was up for the one-on-one babysitting of a VIP for the duration.   

So sure, I told him fine and go ahead, just so long as we're not expected to be putting them up over the week, I mean, who wants visiting VIP's examining the fluff under the bed, or to be counting our dead bugs on the sill?

He called them back and was assured they'd already booked him for The Sefton (our poshest hotel on the Isle).  At that top dollar, we figured it surely must be one of their finest, super-star athletes, one of their elite they had in mind for him to hand-hold, eh?

It wasn't until last week they eventually had him in for the sit down and debrief, and finally announced the identity of this mystery Geezer.

And blimey.
 
Well, bloomin' heck, even I'm impressed. I don't always cut Mr. Shrinky enough credit - seems (contrary to me) he truly is a pretty well-respected citizen around these parts.  Maybe it's all that recent work he's been doing for the Government (he's been a wee bit in the news as of late) that's raised his profile?

Must be.

Now, I am aware there are a few Doubting Thomas' around these parts, those of you who may be casting a dollop of doubt over the truth and veracity of my recent postings.. and yes, much though it pains me, I do accept I may just occasionally be a wee bit prone to exaggeration, but I want it to be known right here and now, every single thing in this particular post is nothing but the total, unabridged and gospel truth. 

Pin your ears back.

See that man below?  (No, not the one dressed up like a pumpkin, that's Mr. Shrinky, I'm talking about the one standing next to him,  His Royal Highness, Prince Tunku Imran of Malaysia, second in line to the throne, and the President of the Commonwealth Youth Games, himself.)


Yes, granted, he may not be dressed quite as Presidential or as Prince-like as you might be expecting of someone of his standing, but hey, be fair, this was taken on his day off.  The games hadn't started yet.

You don't believe me?  Go Google!  Just don't forget to come back and apologise.  Well, what you waiting for?  Go on, scoot!

(Foot tapping..)

Right, you happy now?  Sheesh, some of you really do have trust issues, don't you?  Aye, and you can stuff your apology 'til the next time, I'm off my stride now.. where were we?

Oh yeah. 

I'm so glad we traded the old Tardis up, you can hardly go collecting royalty driving that old clunker, certainly not on the first introduction.  Impressions count, they do.

I told Mr. Shrinky, I said, "No, now you can't go meeting him, holding up that bit of cardboard with his name scrawled across it, I mean, he's used to being recognised, isn't he?  I imagine he normally comes with servants and chauffeurs and such, you just can't go showing up for him looking like some sort of odd-job, clueless cabbie!"

So he took himself away on-line to bone up a bit better, and later on he took a trip down to the library for a book or two on Malaysia, and any of their customs we ought to be knowing about.  (I love my dog, and I'd heard they eat them over there.)

As it turns out, Mr. Shrinky needn't have worried, he stood out like a beacon at the arrivals gate, sporting that near fluorescent, cheap and nasty orange and black volunteer uniform they'd supplied him with.  And the plastic name-tag around his neck served him well.

Plus there were only six folk on the flight.

Well, so far Mr. Shrinky is having a blast.  Him and His Nibs are on first name terms now, and pure inseparable they are.  Seriously, what a genuinely nice bloke this guy is, and he carries no airs or graces about him at all.

For the first two days, hubby served as his chauffeur/tour guide, driving him all over and about the place.  He had to stop off now and then for the odd lunch and dinner with folk, but when he did, he always invited Mr. Shrinky along with him, too.  Yes, Mr. Shrinky's been rubbing shoulders with the high and mighty all week, he has, and he's utterly chuffed to bits to be sitting in in the VIP box, watching all the games as he is. 

You wouldn't catch any of our Royals popping over here without their full entourage of body guards in tow, I told hubby to be careful, you never know if he's likely to be kidnapped or not, do you?  Mind, with him being Muslim an' all, I guess that does narrow the field down a bit, eh?

It's been quite a full week, all told.  His charge has to give out the odd medal, and to make an ocassional speech or two here or there, but in between all that and the watching of the games, they've still  found free time enough to go out sight-seeing, shopping, or to stop off for a small libation at an out of the way Pub. 

Though I did cringe when he took him visiting there out to a junk shop, I ask you, is that really the sort of place for a Prince to be seen hanging about at?

Mind, that said, he did buy a set of six egg-cups from in there (egg cups are hard to come by in Malaysia).

Our friend is scheduled to have dinner this evening at a formal do with, amongst others,The Governor, and Prince Edward (UK Queen's youngest son), but I've reluctantly advised Mr. Shrinky to be leaving his tux at home for the occasion, I fear it rather doubtful he'll be receiving any free pass into there this evening (though, being ever hopeful, he's stuck it in the boot, just in case).

All things considered, there's a lot to be said for volunteering.  I wish, I wish, I wish I could tell you more, especially of all the salacious, juicy tit-bit's I've had passed my way this week, but (sigh) as I'm under strict threat of divorce should I divulge any gossip in here, I'm having to bite my tongue hard, and to sadly take a pass on (what for me are) the bestest and most entertaining bits.

His Highness is due to jet away on Tuesday, but with the tail end of Hurricane Katrina hitting us today, all flights and ferries are closed from the Isle.  I sure hope The Sefton can extend his stay on from tomorrow, should the need arise. 

If not, push comes to shove, I s'pose I could make up a spare bed for the night.

(Running off to find my fluffy duster..)

75 comments:

Akelamalu said...

WOW I'm impressed! Good for Mr Shrinky. Only problem Mr Shrinky might be getting used to living the high life and not want to give it up! LOL

Furry Bottoms said...

I love it :) Your writing is so captivating!

BRUNO said...

He sure beats the hell outta what WE-have right-now, "over-here"!

Wonder if they'd consider a trade, maybe?

Hell, the fact he's Muslim ain't stopped US, yet...

Rock Chef said...

Sounds like a great way to spend a week to me!

Mind you, what happens if someone tries to take a pot-shot a the VIP? Is your husband supposed to throw himself in the way in slow-motion shouting "NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"?

Kate said...

FYI...don't tell His Royal Highness of your run-in with Ghadaffi. Did you finally shave your legs for his royal visit? Mr Shrinky looks like he's having a grand time, despite the pitiful outfit.

Leslie: said...

Oh my goodness, he did get a good volunteer position! My L got one of the highest positions in security during the Olympics here 2 years ago, but didn't get to see anything 'cuz he was always working! But he did enjoy it all to the max anyway. Sounds like your hubby is having a blast! Have you met the Prince himself yet?

The Future Was Yesterday said...

Save that "Pumpkin looking outfit" as you described it.

Wear it on Halloween and you may get away with murder!:) Um....Kinda watch out for you know who.

lisleman said...

Good job volunteering, Mr. Shrinky!
You might be getting a trip to Malaysia out of it.

mythopolis said...

OOhh..maybe his princeliness will invite the duke and duchess Shrinkies to his estate and take you yachting and so on!!!

TexWisGirl said...

LOL! oh the life and times of royalty and the elbow-rubbing folks like yourselves!

Ms. A said...

Have mercy! Impressive!

Barbara Shallue said...

I am very impressed!! I hope he's able to pull out that tux tonight!

Shammickite said...

Sometimes you get a good gig for volunteering and sometimes you end up cleaning the loos. Mr. S certainly hit the big time with this one. Reminds me of when I volunteered to host a Town Cryer and wife during the International Town Cryer Championships a few years ago. I got to look after the Town Cryer of Oswestry and his lovely lady wife, all dressed up in their Town Crying finery. Not quite as special as His Royal Highness, Prince Tunku Imran of Malaysia, but it was memorable, in it's own sweet way. Oyez!

#1Nana said...

Wow! The only royalty we see here is the Umatilla County Fair Queen and her court.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

wow..I'm impressed...so what do you call a prince?

Dee Newman said...

Shrinky, your writing is so entertaining . . .

Fen said...

n'aaw he looks like a real sweetie, and I think your hubby is having a cracker of a time.

My Dad is due on the island on Wednesday I think. He was due Monday but due to everything being cancelled he had to postpone as well. I wish I was visiting too :(

TechnoBabe said...

Sounds like a great week for your husband. You must be proud of him to be of the caliber to be chosen for this important duty. Sounds like there will be more to this story. I look forward to finding out if Mr Shrinky wore his tux.

wishihadakarmaanghia said...

I am completely not in the mood for giggling today but the bit about the egg cups tipped me over the edge into fits! I am impressed with your right royal hubby! Do you think you might get a return invite? Hmmm......... xxx

mrsnesbitt said...

A in his element as ever eh? How does he do it?
Dx

Copyboy said...

Love the post! And yes, Yoga always counts!!!

JeannetteLS said...

I'm thinking someone should offer you a quiet padded room somewhere. But I'd want to be in the next room, so forget that. IN. SANE. LY. Marvelous.

No, no, no. Yoga does not count as a sport. Yoga simply is.

X. Dell said...

(1) I didn't realize Mr. Shrinky was a Muslim.

(2) You guys get all the action, what with the bike races, and now this. What are you guys doing to rate all this international attention?

(3) If Mugabe did come, you could find out whether or not he shaves his legs.

EG Wow said...

Thanks so much for the laughs! You are very funny. :))

Shrinky said...

I worried about that too, Ake, so I don't let him out to play now unless he vacuums the downstairs, first. (Keeps him grounded.)

Shrinky said...

Hey there Furry Bottoms, great to see you again, hon - thanks for the sweet words (grin)!

Shrinky said...

Hands off, Bruno, finders keepers, go find your own Prince.

Shrinky said...

Well Rock Chef, 'fraid it's probably part of the duties, but on the bright side, I do have Mr. Shrinky well insured..

Shrinky said...

Yeah Kate, I've been keeping a low profile this week, and taken to wearing me jeans now the weather's turned colder. It's a good thing Mr. Shrinky doesn't have any fashion sense, otherwise he might feel embarrassed, eh?

Shrinky said...

Hi Leslie, ooh, Lorne sounds to have had a blast, eh? Is he also applying for the 2012 Olympic's? Mr. Shrinky has, too - let's keep our fingers crossed for them both!

Shrinky said...

Dan, I don't let him out over Halloween, not after that last unfortunate incident involving the witch and her broom (he's never quite been the same since).

Shrinky said...

Funny you should say that, Lisleman, as it happens we HAVE got an invite - His Highness has very kindly offered to put his house in the mountains (it's cooler uo there) at our disposal should we want to come over (he apologised it's small, but apparently it does also come with a particularly good cook), watch this space!

Shrinky said...

Seriously Dan, he has given us an open invitation to stay over there, and has also asked hubby to come as his guest to Scotland, when he's next over there, next year (whey-hey)!!

Shrinky said...

I know TexWisGirl, I think all you lot should consider curtesying now, before entering in here, eh?

Shrinky said...

Yup Ms A, what a turn up for the books, huh?

Shrinky said...

Ah Barbara, sad to say, it remained rumpled up in the boot for the duration. (Sigh)

Shrinky said...

Shammickite, Ooooooooooh, what fun! Sounds a real fun place where you live, I'll bet you had a brilliant time hosting them - are there any photographs? I think that would make a great post!

Shrinky said...

Well OFFICIALLY, Yellowdog, he's addressed as Your Royal Highness, but this prince was happier to answer to Tunku.

Shrinky said...

Aw Dee, you've gone and made me toes curl up in pleasure, now!

Shrinky said...

Nana #1, now don't be knocking the Umatilla County Fair Queen and her court, I hear she holds a lot of sway around your parts!

Shrinky said...

Awww Fen, I'm truly gutted you haven't made it over (pout). If your dad is ever around the Quarterbridge Road area, give me a shout, and I'll stick the kettle on for him..!

Shrinky said...

Sadly not, TechnoBabe, but I guess you can't win 'em all, eh? And yeah, it's been a memorable week, and lots of fun (smile).

Shrinky said...

Hi Kristina, yeah, he did, he did, he did - whoooooohoooooo (insert arm-pump)! Hope all's well with you and yours? It's time for a catch up, methinks..

Shrinky said...

Oh, you know Mr. Shrinky, Denise, he's ever up for a challenge!

Shrinky said...

Aw cheers Copyboy, I find that very reassuring to know, thanks for that (grin).

Shrinky said...

Hey there Jannette, how lovely to see you in here, thanks for popping by! Now we'll have no more talk about padded rooms if you please, there's nothing wrong with my mental health (anymore), as my discharge papers can prove..

Shrinky said...

X-Dell,

1. My Mr. Shrinky is far too easily influenced, especially when it comes to Royalty - that Prince has a lot to answer for. And I don't appreciate that Burka hubby found for me, neither.

2. At the risk of sounding immodest, I think our presence on the Isle has done wonders for it's image..

3. Being as how Mugabwe is nothing but a big girls blouse, I doubt he sprouts a hair of fuzz anywhere, not even under his arm-pits.

Shrinky said...

Hey EJ Wow, how lovely to hear from you, welcome aboard! I look forward to visiting with you soon, thanks for the encouraging words (smile).

Rock Chef said...

Hah, I won't repeat my reply in public :-)

Shrinky said...

Spoilsport (giggle)

Suldog said...

Wonderful! His Highness looks like a right nice fellow in the photo, but, then again, who wouldn't be happy if in contact with you and yours? Great story.

Shrinky said...

Oh no Jim, I was never given an audience, much to my chagrin (pout), hubby was off with his Prince the whole week and I never so much as was allowed a look in.. hmph.

BernardL said...

Very entertaining VIP interaction. :)

Pat Tillett said...

Wow! Now that is how royalty should act. Just like the rest of us. It sounds like Mr. Shrinky is having a blast.
Although, I am related to your Royal Family, I rarely receive any royal treatment. Okay, I NEVER recieve any royal treatment. Okay, the Royal Family doesn't even know me, but I am related...

silly rabbit said...

Oh my! What an absolute wonderful experience. Nothing like that happens with us. Good for Mr. Shrinky!
Sorry you can't dish out some of the tid bits... I'd love to hear them.

Shrinky said...

Hi Bernard, so nice to see you in here, and thanks for the kind words!

Shrinky said...

Eeee Pat, does that mean I should be dropping a curtesy next time I drop by your site (grin)?

Shrinky said...

Hi Silly Rabbit, ah, sad to say, me lips are sealed (at least until Mr. Shrinky goes off for his week in London)..

altadenahiker said...

I don't think your Shrinky name is truth in advertising, not when you're rubbing shoulders with international royalty. And there's something seriously endearing about "Tunku."

Deidre said...

That is impressive!

Shrinky said...

Hi altadenahiker, maybe I should adopt a more fitting title - how does "Princess-by-Proxy" sound? I think it has a rather nice ring to it, myself..

Shrinky said...

Hey there Deirdre, thanks for stopping by!

WhisperingWriter said...

Wow, nice!

Joanna Jenkins said...

A junk shop purchase!?! I love that!!!
xoxo jj

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Ar thare Malaysian Bears?
I mite hav to go an google THAT!
LOL!

A'just dropping off sum piratey prods on Talk Like A Pirate Day! Aaarrr!!!!!!!!!!

Parabolic Muse said...

Oh, that junk jaunt is probably going to go down as the best thing he did!!

I love it that Mr. Shrinky is hob-nobbing! The word's going to go forth, and every visitor is going to request him!

I believed every word. Really.

Middle Child said...

Impressive - and no I didn't go and check it out - trusting soul that I am

Shrinky said...

Hi Whispering Writer, thanks for stopping by.

Shrinky said...

Hi jj, the place is called "Jurby Junk", and it's enormous, in a converted airplane hanger (I did a post about it once)!

Shrinky said...

Hi Bob, oh yeah, don't they have panda's or something (nah, that's China, eh?)?

Eeee Bob, you sure made me work hard with this pirate post of yours - such fun, thanks for the laugh!

Shrinky said...

Hi there Chrissie, you know that story about the boy who cried "wolf"? My previous posts are reaching up to bite me on the bum here - for once in an age when I do actually tell the truth, no one will listen! (Blush)

Midlife Jobhunter said...

Oh, do tell now that it is over. What a good thing for your community to host such an event. Sometimes husbands do things that give us reason to have great blog posts.

Bloomin' heck. I've never heard that.

Shrinky said...

You've never heard of "Bloomin' heck"? Gee, guess I'll just have to say "bloody hell" in the future, then (wink)..! And yup, you are so right, hubbies often have their uses, don't they?

Jeaux said...

You've changed. I think you're way more regal than you used to be. :op

Judging by the photo, I'd say Mr. Shrinky is the prince and Tunku is the bodyguard.

Mascot may look like a pussycat, but see that racquet in its hand, and the shuttlecock in it's sight? Pro-level badminton, according to Esquire magazine, is the most strenuous of all racquet sports - not quite the back-yard pass time we played with our cousins.

Now I want to hear the juicy bits that didn't make it to your blog. Is there a members-only Mr. Shrinky blog that I don't know about? E-mail me.

Bone said...

This made me feel the need to go clean my window sill! Of course, I still haven't done it, but I sure feel like I should.

Very entertaining!