Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Birthday Buns


Known for my subtlety and restraint I decided to go light on the icing, after all, less is more, isn't it? 

My youngest turns 15 today. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABBY!
She shares her birthday with Jess, who at thirteen, is quite the mellow old lady now.  She's kinda' let herself go a bit, not grooming as much as she should, but she's still quite sprightly on the mousing front, and always enjoys a welcome lap..   




Bit like myself, really ('cept for the mousing).

________________________________

So, under advisement, I've opened a second blog.  It makes sense, somewhere to store my works in progress, a kind of virtual "filing cabinet", if you will, opened solely for my drafts.  This will free me up to return to my regular postings, which I hope will be far less lengthy and demanding than they've become recently.  It'll be business as usual from here on out.
___________________________________  

Life at Cassa Shrinky fares well.  Sweet Sam had a bumpy start to the year, causing much distress - he encountered bullying for the first time in his life, but was unable to effectively communicate this to me, becoming inexplicably aggressive at home.  

He is never placed in an "at risk" situation, we ferry him everywhere, and where he goes is always in a supervised environment, but the group he is placed with, all like himself, young, mentally-impaired adolescents, is of a mixed sex, with all those horrible hormones running riot.  The rivalries and jealousies cause fireworks, and it's a tinder-box easily lit.  The fires have been doused for now, I'm crossing my fingers ('til the next time) that all is once more well again in his world.

____________________________

I knew I'd end up inheriting the hamster, Chewy 2.  The wondrous Ben bought Beccy (well, actually he bought her the predecessor, Chewy, but Chewy, sensing the way the wind lies, wisely escaped before being delivered here, and Ben had to purchase his replacement) for Christmas.  She swore blind she would love and care for him forever, but then he bit her when she first picked him up, causing her to have a bloody finger and a complete change of heart.

He is kinda' cute running around in his hamster bowl - least he gives the cat some exercise.

___________________________

Am I the only one disappointed with the BBC adaptation of "Birdsong"?  I read the book years ago and raved about it, so when I saw it advertised on the telly as a drama, I could hardly wait to view it.  Sure, I know it's impossible to condense everything from the page, faithfully on to film - but honestly - what a bloomin' let down!  It was all pregnant pauses, and deep burning looks, with hardly a worthwhile word exchanged throughout.  You'd think the two-parter could have fitted a little bit more in to the three hours they (excessively) had to play with?  A little climax somewhere in there mighta' been nice. The main character drifted his way through it in nothing but sheer, unrelenting, and perpetual misery - that's NOT the way as I recall it from the book.

Ah well.


_______________________________


Ha, I must share the conversation I've just had with Sweet Sam.  His dad took him out for ONE glass of cider, down at our local pub last night.  I asked him how it went.

"Cider makes me pee all night, I'm not going back."

Can't say fairer than that, can you? (Giggle)                     

47 comments:

Furtheron said...

Re Birdsong - I didn't feel completely let down but it was nowhere near the quality of the book, in part because all of the 1978 bit was completely omitted - which I think was a mistake.
I think people who haven't read the book will have found it good - maybe even great - those who've read the book will have found it okay at best.

The perils of trying to adapt something that probably couldn't be adapted as was onto the screen. They miss out huge important bits as well - such as his relationship with his Uncle back in England in 1910 - his relationship with the major (only touched on) in 1916-18... there was a lot of missed opportunity sadly

Tabor said...

You are one good mom. Very insightful, I must say. Well, I guess I have to read Birdsong and avoid the series when it comes to our public television.

mythopolis said...

I am not familiar with Birdsong, I'll have to look it up.

Happy Birthday to Abby!! I must say those cupcakes are almost too pretty to eat...I did say almost, didn't I?

I like the idea of your 'secret' blog site! : )

I certainly feel for Sam in the teen group situation...that's a lot of energy floating around in such a group as that!

Best wishes to all!

JeannetteLS said...

Oh, great. Now I want a cupcake.

I absolutely loved the end. LOVE. Well. You don't mouse? Huh...

Leslie: said...

Since you recommend it so highly, I simply must get Birdsong. I've read Charlotte Grey twice and seen the movie and enjoyed it immensely. Happy Birthday to your daughter - lucky her to have a mom who makes such gorgeous cupcakes! I'm sure Sam will heal from that situation and even perhaps get some sort of insight into dealing with it if it ever happens again.

Cathy is going to love Jess! She's a real cat person.

Bijoux said...

Did you make those cupcakes? That looks like a ton of work. I just don't have the patience for decorating, I guess. Sorry to hear about the bullying :(

Akelamalu said...

Oh poor Sam, I hate bullying of any description. :(

bill lisleman said...

sam gave a great observation.
I still remember a friend's hamster (or guinea pig?) punching a hole in my thumb once. Enough blood for one of your stories. So what's the location of your new blog?

Rock Chef said...

Sadly bullies will eventually turn up, no matter how hard we try to protect our babies.

My older, dyspraxic, daughter had ongoing problems when she was at school with one girl in particular. We tried all the uaual routes but nothing worked. Then one evening Mrs RC just happened to say "If she starts again I want you to hit her until there is blood and tears". A true dyspraxic, she took this to heart and beat the living shit out of that girl a few days later. Sorry about the language ;-)

Mike Williams said...

And a merry, happy birthday dear Abby. Sorry to hear of Sam's plight. Bullying of anyone is just not warranted. I know you and he will take the right steps to work out a solution.

chewy said...

Happy Happy Birthday to Abs and Jess. (lots of cheering and whistling)

How do I download one of them cupcakes?

Ms. A said...

Happy Birthday to Abby and Jess!

Sorry about Sam and the bullying. It happens in all walks of life, regardless of how protective we try to be.

mrsnesbitt said...

Awww Sam - hugs from us both! xxxx

mythopolis said...

By the way, is it just the way the picture was taken, or does Jess have a wicked smile on his face?!!

MarkD60 said...

Happy to both your furred and your non furred family.
Quite honestly, I love your posts, and recognize your skill as a writer, but I sometimes when reading blogs I am not in the state of mind focus my brain long enough to always properly read your longer posts.
I think the second blog is a good idea for you.

Shrinky said...

Hi there Furtheron, aha, the book is still fresh in your mind, I see - I think I must've read it over 15yrs ago now, and I confess I don't fully recall every detail from then, but you've validated what I suspected, and it's all coming back to me now! Thanks for that (grin).

Shrinky said...

Aw, cheers Tabor, thanks for that. Yeah, I do highly recommend the book, it's well worth a read - Sebastion Faulks is the author (I think).

Shrinky said...

Hi there Dan, the book is set over six years and emcompasses the horrors as witnessed by a (as it opens) 20yr old young man, in the first world war - it is also a very poignant love story.

I've called my new blog, "Nil by Mouth". Thanks for the idea Dan, the more I think of it, the better it feels to have this second space for my scribblings.

Shrinky said...

Hi Jeannette, nah, my mousing days are long behind me now, truth be told..!

Shrinky said...

Hi Leslie, I've been pretty bogged down in countless meetings with Sam and his various agencies to hopefully gain a resolution to his distress, and thankfully, I think everyone is working together to ensure this happens (I have one final one tomorrow, fingers crossed).

Poor old Jess has taken to sleeping in the garage in protest, ever since Jake arrived on the scene (8yrs ago).. but with winter arriving, I've been trying to entice her more indoors. I'm sure she and Cathy will make firm friends (smile).

Shrinky said...

Hello Bijoux, yup, I not only iced them, I baked them too (see my proud grin?).. but I did do most of it seated at the breakfast bar, watching the telly!

Shrinky said...

I know Ake, me too. Parents with kids like Sam always fret over their future precisely because of their vulnerability out there in the big, bad world (sigh).

Shrinky said...

Hi Bill, it's listed on my profile page, but I'll not actually post any drafts there, it's just a convenient way to store my bundles of half written scribbles in.

Shrinky said...

Haha, oh RC, your daughter obviously was her mother's daughter - and good for her, too - I'll bet that ended all the hassle for once and for all, eh? Sam's not being physically bullied, it's more having his head messed with, and he doesn't have the guile or the savvy to deal with it. Like you say, heartbreaking though it is, it's inevitable to rear it's ugly head once in a while, and you just have to deal as best you can with it.

Shrinky said...

Thanks Mike, it was all consuming for a week or two, but things seem to be settling back down now, thank goodness.

Shrinky said...

I'm beaming one over to you as I type, Chewy! A little birdie told me it was YOUR birthday too, just a couple of days ago?

Shrinky said...

Yeah Ms. A, guess it's just a sad fact of life, I guess, eh?

Shrinky said...

Cheers Denise, are you two planning on coming over this year for the TT, again?

Shrinky said...

Ha, Dan, it all depends on the way it's viewed, but yeah, I can see what you mean, she could be, couldn't she?

Rock Chef said...

Yes, that certainly was the end of that one!

Shrinky said...

Mark, yes, you've confirmed exactly what I've been thinking, too - thanks, I do believe I should keep this site more of a light and breezy place to visit.

wishihadakarmaanghia said...

Hey Shrinky! Poor Sam - that must have been a horrible episode all round. So glad he's got you to fight his corner for him. Loving the new breezy blogging. Big love xxx

Shrinky said...

I'll also bet you and Mrs. RC had many's a sleepness night on the prelude to all that - there's nothing worse than feeling helpless to prevent your kid from getting abused if they're out of your sight.

Shrinky said...

Hiya Kristina, how's it going bonny lass? I have yet ANTOHER meeting (this time with all his care provider's under the same roof - hooray!)this morning. Things are much better, but only after Sam had to relinquish his mobile phone for good - since the incidents were escalating via there, into his home life too. That's a big loss for him, since he has little social life anyway. I am still receiving calls on our land line for him by this "creature" (who is all sweetness and light when I answer). I remind her every night she is banned by myself and her parents from calling him, but - sigh - she forgets..! Onward and upwards, eh?

Trellissimo said...

If only more chaps had as much sense! LOL

Shrinky said...

Hi Trellissimo, thanks for stopping by. Yeah, sometimes that lad is wise beyond his years (grin)!

Suldog said...

Well, Happy Birthday to Abby, by all means! But, uh, where is the other blog? Do I have to go there to continue reading The Story?

Shrinky said...

Um, it's listed on my profile page, but empty of posts, so there's no sense in going there, Jim. I'm gathering my hopefully, eventually complete stories together in there, and when that happens I promise you'll be one of the first to know!

Fenstar de Luxe said...

mmmm, cupcakes.
LOL at the Cider making him pee all night! Very true!

Nancy said...

Loved catching up with you, Shrinky, and swear never to be away for so long - you always entertain. Love the last story - as I have exactly the same problem. :-)

Shrinky said...

Hi there Fen, yeah, the poor lad was most annoyed no one thought to first warn him..!

Shrinky said...

Hey, how great to see you again Nancy - aw, it's good to see you back, but I TOTALLY understand how it goes, 'cos I've hardly done half the visits I used to. This annoying thing such as life will keep on interrupting us in here, doesn't it? Yeah, as for Sam, you AND me too (smile)!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Happy, happy 15th birthday to Abby! I hope it's a fantastic year for you.

And your sweet Sam. I am so very sorry about the bullying. There really are no words other than to say @#$%^&. I hope it's all past and he's back to his sweet self.

xo jj

Shrinky said...

Thanks JJ, I can hardly believe my youngest is FIFTEEN, what happened to my little baby? As for Sam, he seems to be moving on, fingers crossed.

Epic Fail said...

American beer makes me pee all night, but from what I hear from across the pond most of you consider American beer to actually BE pee in a glass anyway. HA HA!

Sage said...

Didn't see Birdsong, but I felt Jess must be excited about the adopted hamster. The cat is probably thinking, yes, there is a Santa!

Secret Agent Woman said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter!

And is cider an alcoholic drink, like hard cider as opposed to apple cider?