Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

La Sauce

La Sauce operated on a strictly reservation-only rule, and enjoyed a brisk lunchtime trade of mainly suited business exec's, mixed in with a Ladies-Who-Lunch set.  The third and most recent restaurant acquisition of the celebrated T.V. chef, Monsieur Gicquel, Ellie heard it rumoured securing a table there generally required a week or two's prior notice, together with a hefty up-front, non-refundable deposit.

Seated there, it certainly looked to be a gastronomic step up from the usual pub-lunch of sausage, egg and chips she occasionally enjoyed, down at the Old Slug & Lettuce.

Suzanne delicately picked at her starter of terrine of veal and pork, as Julie continued prodding her chicken liver parfait around the plate.  Ellie, having already wolfed down her entire fois gras salad in less than three fork-fulls, buttered a second roll of rustic bread, and tried to clarify.  "Hang on, who's Pookie?   I thought you said Gerrard was your husband?"

Julie dabs a napkin to her lip,  "Mnnn, yes, of course he is - Gerrard is both my husband and my reality.  Pookie however, is my delicious little drop of sunshine, bless him, and it's all only just a silly bit of fun, that's all."

"Oh.  But, doesn't it get, um, well - complicated?  I mean, what if Gerrard were to find out?


Suzanne, food barely touched, rests her knife and fork together, "Gerrard loves her, but his train set ran out of steam years ago.  Well, after all is said and done, he is more than twice her age, I mean, what can you expect?"

"He knows?

"Certainly not.  He chooses not to, and as his wife, I totally respect his wishes."

"And what about "Pookie", does he also have a wife.?"

"A queen bitch, treats him abysmally.  And don't go all judgemental on me here, do you know she even refuses to bear him children"

"Crikey, didn't they think to discuss all that before marriage?"

"Okay, it's possible she didn't know she was barren at the time, but still..  she had ONE round of IVF, and then totally gave up, flatly refused any more treatment, nada, nothing  - can you believe it?"

"IVF?"

"You know, the test-tube route, artificial insemination."

A waiter clears the plates, as another lays up cutlery for the next course. Julie enquires of them where the ladies room is, and clutching her handbag, excuses herself.

Watching her retreating back, Suzanne allows the waiting staff to clear before shooting Ellie a conspiratorial wink, "She's off to powder her nose - well, up it, to be more precise - feel free to join her if you like, she won't mind."

"Huh?"

"Do a line?"

"WHAT?  Oh.  Oh, thanks, no, I don't - "  shrugging, "I left all that behind me years back, not since the kids, and I was never really all that into it, in the first place.  What about you, do you still..?"

"Heavens no, hardly ever now, no, not since the nose job, my surgeon would kill me."

"Eh?"

"The damage that stuff wreaks to the cartilage is criminal.."  She pauses, "Don't take everything Julie says as gospel, 'tween you and me, I fear she's quite smitten with this new man of hers.  I'm actually rather worried it may well end in tears."

"Why?  You think it's more than a fling?"

"Mn-hnm.  I hope she doesn't get careless.  Gerrard's good at turning a blind eye, but he's not a one to have his nose rubbed in it.  I wouldn't mind, but she's always so cautious as a rule - I've certainly never had to cover for her before - it's compromising, I don't like it."

"Ah."

They sip their wine.

"Is she happy?  With Gerrard?"

"Happy?  Of course.  She can never leave him, he gives her everything, he absolutely adores her.  Besides, there's the two girls to consider.  She had Geraldine, her eldest, less than a week before I had Simon - now they both go to the same nursery together, "Flutter-bye's", do you know it?"

Yes, Ellie knew of it.  Despite charging a veritable kings-ransom per term, apparently it still held a two-year waiting list for enrolment there.  They greet Julie as she returns and re-seats herself.

Three waiters arrive to the table, each carrying an elaborate, silver-domed dish.  Placing one down before each of them, they  synchronise together to simultaneously lift the polished covers up, and theatrically reveal the individually crafted masterpieces hidden beneath.

Suzanne raises a glass, "Bon appetite, everyone."


Glasses chink.

Ellie happily notes the fillet mignon aux oignons with gratin dauphinois, is little more than a rather poshly dressed pork and onion, served up with a creamy-type of spud.  Thus relieved, she sets forth with gusto, and adds a healthy dollop of the side-serving of creamed spinach to her plate.

"Suzanne tells me it was at the gym that you two met up again, have you been a member there for long?"

Ellie makes herself a mental note to skip pudding.  "Not really, I only joined up this month - "

The conversation moves to diet and baby-bellies, and of which Spa Ellie would really benefit the most from.  By the time the bill rolls round to be split, Ellie finds she's only gone and accepted a dinner-invitation to Julie and Gerrard's up-coming annual charity May Ball.

Being hardly a one for this type of social scene, she rather doubts Peter will dress accordingly and play nice there, but then-again, she could always try blackmailing Paige in to joining her..?

34 comments:

Chantel said...

Oh darling, you do entrance one! A delicious peek into another world. Sometimes I wonder if you've led three lives....

Tabor said...

I have never know people like this...do they exist?

mythopolis said...

Juicy gossip and a sense of trouble brewing in several respects...and of course, the lunch fare made me hungry too!!

bill lisleman said...

did I miss a scene from the "Old Slug & Lettuce"? I could relate better to that one. "Train set ran out of steam" - that's good.
I'm going to play editor and possibly make a fool of myself.
Pookie is referred to as "her" in Suzanne's response. Typo?

Shrinky said...

Chantel, that's for me to know, and for you to guess.. (wink)!

Shrinky said...

Indeed they do, Tabor - but I doubt you've missed out on much. (smile)

Shrinky said...

Hi there Dan, yes, this is where I hope to lead into the place where Paige and her nemisis will collide. I have a clearer picture now of where this is going - but I may not continue posting about it up here - I fear it's too long and complex a plot to expect folk to jump into blind, mid-way through. It's unfair to expect folk to guess what the hell is meant to be actually going on - y'know?

Shrinky said...

Hi Bill, ooh, did I? Darn, I can't see for looking - can you quote me the line? I'd really appreciate that, if you would..?

silly rabbit said...

I always leave here hungry for more!

sage said...

Wow, interesting dialogue you've created (or did you overhear this?)

Ms. A said...

Fancy named food and descriptions of lifestyles that are totally foreign (yet interesting) to me. I might be able to relate more to the people at the Old Slug & Lettuce!

Kittie Howard said...

Delicious dialogue laced with trouble only the rich can get into, ahhh! (I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall.)

Secret Agent Woman said...

Would this be the sauce for both goose and gander?

Sounds like Ellie has a rather unsavory couple fo friends!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Ahh, time with gal pals is always so special ;-)
Loved this story. More please.
xo jj

Akelamalu said...

How the other half live eh?

Shrinky said...

You really are a silly, loveable rabbit (grin)!

Shrinky said...

Hi Sage, ahem, yes, I overheard it (fingers crossed behind my back, whistling innocently..).

Shrinky said...

Ha, Ms. A, I don't think you're alone there..!

Shrinky said...

Thank you Kitty, that's made my day!

Shrinky said...

Hi Secret Agent, at least these two acquaintances are pretty up-front about who they are, Ellie has no idea it's her best friend, Paige, that she truly needs to be cautious of..

Shrinky said...

Hi JJ, ah, this is not really time spent with "the girlies", for Ellie - she's never been close, even back from when she first knew them!

Shrinky said...

Hi Ake, yeah, s'alright for some, eh? That said, rich or poor, if you scratch the surface I find people tend to be the same, good and bad, all the world over.

mythopolis said...

If you think its going to be too long and complicated to post here, then perhaps you could give the story its own blog site, and refer us to it as you progress....I would love to see you carry it on out!

Shrinky said...

Hmmmn, there's a thought Dan, thanks, I might. Truth is, I'm jotting down snippets here and there that are probably going to end up out of sequence to the final draft, so it feels probably best for me to pull the bones of it together first - but we'll see (grin)!

Bijoux said...

Can I pull up a chair and get a corned beef on rye?

Pat Tillett said...

I'd enjoy a slug while I read the next installments! there will be, won't there?

Shrinky said...

Bijoux, depends on how much you're prepared to pay for it, I guess! (Grin)

Shrinky said...

Hi there Pat, great to see you back again. I'm not sure there will be, I think I've tested folks patience enough in here for that - I want to get back to posting my regular snippets and up-dates again - but you can always scroll down if you'd like to read the build up to this post!

Dave said...

Hmm, I was hoping to find out to Henry and Paige? An interesting new story though Carol - Dave

Shrinky said...

Hi Dave, I'm sorry if I've jumped to a new setting - it is all still part of the same story (and I refer to Paige in the last paragraph) - we are far from through with Paige and her predicament yet!

Skunkfeathers said...

Whether the people are real or mythical -- and me thinks the former -- they would confide in Shrinky ;-)

Rock Chef said...

Wonderful stuff. I love the way you subtly use words to show the characters that you are writing about without going into lengthy descriptions. You really should write for a living, you know.

Furtheron said...

This is like some of those "reality" shows my daughter watches and I can only bear seconds of - I suppose there are people who live in this kind of world and are sincere in what they say and do - however it is so far from my reality I struggle to comprehend... Just thought of something I should post about as a result of this... ta

chewy said...

I feel you're dropping in the spices to stir up the cauldron's brew.

"Pookie"? - hahahahahahaha - (wink-wink)